Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Why does everyone bag on ICON gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does everyone bag on ICON gear?

Hello,
newbie here. The day I bought my bike I went down to chaparral motorsports and bought me some gears...Alpinestars gloves and textile jacket and ICON helmet.

I searched this forum aroudn a bit and most of you seem to have something against ICON so I want toknow about it. Since ICON is what wraps my brain when I ride I want to know if its crap. I mean when I bought it I thought well it certainly isn't cheap and it matches my bike so I got it. Plus was that my wife reallyliked it and of course was the most snug fit of all. I tried on lower end shoeis and Scorpios but ICON fit me the best. And since the salesman said it gets loose after sweatin and stuff I decided on the tightest fit as well. So that being said, it's this helmet:

http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...36&id=5720

Pros:
Fits me tight
Matches my bike
Wife OK'd the purchase

Cons:
Too many vents, hence more things to break.

To me 400 isnt cheap, but I wanted to spend around 4~500 on something that will keep my head intact. But I'm starting to get real nervous about all the negativity towards ICON i see on this forum, what's up?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Default RE: Why does everyone bag on ICON gear?

WOW....

I had a nice thought out response to this question....typed it up.....clicked ok....and the forum screwed up.....damn.

Dont know how you got all what you typed to stick...

Old 07-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Location: Granger, Indiana (Next to South Bend and Notre Dame)

All you have to do is click preview, it will open in another window and if it will mess up it will do it in the other window.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People have elitist attitudes and more often than not a complete lack of experience with the gear they're bashing.

It's common, and very sad.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:53 PM

so...icons are just fine?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It the helmet is DOT/Snell approved then it's fine.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:56 PM

In my oppinion, it's because Icom is a fairly new brand. It doesn't have the reputation that Shoei has, or a similar brand. people are generally afraid of what is new. I think your good with your icon

Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Registered Users

i run an icon domain decay helmet and icon leather....i have read good things about icon just as much as any other brand....problem with icon is it is popular to the stunting crowd...and riders and racers have a thing against stunters....thus a lot of bashers think because it is marketed more to the stunting crowd, that it isn't as good as stuff marketed to the racers....i love my icon stuff and have read numerous stories and it protected people in crashes...i think you'll be fine...

this is only my opinion though on other people's opinion...i have no idea what is going on in their head!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM

^^^ That is kinda similiar to what I was going to say. Icon is known as a "biker boyz" brand and that is why a lot of racers and riders in general think the way they do about it.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 AM

I have an Icon helmet, leather jacket, and boots, I love them. my Helmet is 10x better than my old HJC in the way it fits and feels. I love my Icon helmet and I would buy another one, as far as people smashing it, most haven't even wore one. I could care less what someones opinion is on gear they haven't wore first hand b/c they saw someone they didn't l.i.k.e wearing it. Or they saw something break on the helmet....the thing I really hated about my HJC helmet was turning my head on the interstate for the visor to come up...my icon helmet doesnt do that which is nice.

people also bash gsxr riders on here all time, doesn't mean they are all bad riders, or that there bikes are trash, there are plenty of idiots out there on Honda's too, trust me I know a couple that shouldn't even be riding b/c they are too immature to ride on the streets.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone bag on ICON gear?