Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

What to do with damaged gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with damaged gear

I had a 20 mph low side accident a month or so ago going around a traffic circle. Cold tires and those big painted arrows in the road we're part of the reason, I usually avoid it but I was scanning the gas station across the sreet for an open pump, should have been paying more attention. Anyways my jacket and gloves did their job, I walked away with scraped knees as I didn't have my riding pants on that day, but otherwise completely fine. My gloves and jacket have very minor abrasion on some small areas but I know any damaged gear is no good after the fact. The gloves are A-Stars Sp-1s and the jacket was an A-Stars GP-R jacket and I can't bring myself to throw them away being as expensive as they were and the quality. My question is does anyone know of maybe a leather recycling place or maybe repair? It feels extremely wasteful to throw these away as the damage is as minimal as it could be in that event. Just thought I'd ask on here, I tried googling but all I kept getting was gear reviews after an accident. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could possibly get hold of the manufacture. Some will repair their own stuff. For a price of course. I had my roadracing leathers altered by Lizzy Leathers. She also does repairs. I cant remember where she is but she comes the Summit Point race track which aint to far from Washington DC. She has a web site.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Try shoe repair places. They often do repairs to leather items as well as shoes.

If the damage is minor, I wouldn't hesitate to keep using it.
Helmets are a different story. Any good bump to the shell or if it's a few years old; it's junk.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Try shoe repair places. They often do repairs to leather items as well as shoes.

Helmets are a different story. Any good bump to the shell or if it's a few years old; it's junk.
This.

I've reused jackets before, and it's been fine. Scuffs are okay, tears need to be fixed. But helmets are an absolute no-no. One and done.

Glad to hear it wasn't serious and you're alright

Old 10-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, inspect the stitching. If the stitching is good, then reuse it. Have it redyed if the looks bother you. But you've got to EARN road-rash on leathers.

+1 on helmets. They're a 1 and done item. Most manufacturers will inspect them if you send it to them and will tell you the status of the helmet. Most insurance companies will replace your gear if you file a claim too.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
But you've got to EARN road-rash on leathers.
Besides, riding around in damaged gear is still better than riding in a tank top and shorts like some bozos do.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:12 PM

Besides, riding around in damaged gear is still better than riding in a tank top and shorts like some bozos do.
I won't even ride near an undressed rider.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:01 AM

Thanks for the replys everyone, I didn't realize I could re-use lightly damaged gear, I've been treating everything like my helmet with the one and done. Luckily my helmet is fine. It wasn't a severe enough crash to get that. I'm pretty sure the only reason why my knees even got it is because I tried standing up before I was done sliding I'm pretty sure. I was more worried about the bike watching that slide away from me. Just goes to show how "comfortable" I guess is the word I'll use, good gear can keep you during a mild accident.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:25 AM

I feel there is ANY sign the helmet touched pavement, then it must be inspected. Otherwise you risk the helmet not doing its future job.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
I feel there is ANY sign the helmet touched pavement, then it must be inspected. Otherwise you risk the helmet not doing its future job.
It's as nice and as untouched as the day I bought it thank god. Bought it new this year and I really like it so that would've made me sad. Icon Airframe Pro Construct finish in dark. Highly recommend this helmet. I like it better than my old AGV Grid.

Quick Reply: What to do with damaged gear