Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Tourmaster Winter Elite Gloves

Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tourmaster Winter Elite Gloves

Cold winter badness is here in the midwest so I bought a pair of these gloves from kneedraggers and here is the review I wrote for it.

When I started looking at winter riding gloves I was looking to spend around $50. I knew that wearing my Icon Superduty gloves, riding was acceptable into the lower 40's, and bearable in the 30's.(work commute of 20mins) I thought that just about anything that was designed for a winter glove would suffice into the 10's and 20's. After doing a lot of looking and searching(not many good reviews on winter gloves) I decided that if I was truly going to be a year round rider in everything but the snow then it would be worth it to spend the extra money on a well designed glove. If you've spent $50 on a less expensive glove, then you may come to the realization that you can ride in the 10's but it is not at all pleasant. All my other gear is up to the task, I didn't want my hands to be the only part of me frozen when I get to work.

Let me just say that this glove is great. When I got it in the mail (1.5 days from when I placed the order, thank you kneedraggers) I tried it on and my heart sank. It was hard to get the glove on my hand, HAD I ORDERED A SIZE TOO SMALL???

Nope, hands were a little damp and oily and it made them stick to the liner, once I had washed my hands these gloves slid on like, well, a glove. The leather used is supple and inspires confidence in finger dexterity. It's not a nimble as my summer glove, but I'd be shocked if it was. ( I think the hand sticking the first time I tried the glove on is not an issue after you have worn them awhile even if your hands are slightly damp, once they have a little use the fibers don't cling like they did the first time.) The long gauntlet is brilliant, and the waterproof/windproof zip away cover is great for that extra buffer from the wind or rain. Be warned that you'll lose much of the gloves great dexterity, but it's a lifesaver when you need it.

The visor wiper is a nice little addition that can make drizzly rides a lot nicer. If it's raining more than a medium rain you can't wipe your visor often enough to make a difference. But when it's drizzle or water kicked up from the car in front of you it's a handy gizmo. They even thought ahead enough to place a slot in the zip out cover to retain use of the wiper when the cover is used. Slick.

The only real gripe I have about this glove is the fact that for a glove that is supposed to be worn in the worst weather to ride a motorcycle in it has very little protection in the way of knuckle protectors or extra padding. It has some padding on the back of the hand, the outside, and the palm. It seems on par with my Icon gloves, but I got them as a lightweight glove for commuting in warm weather. The liklyhood of going down in the winter seems a lot higher, and in my mind a glove should be built accordingly. To be fair however there are veeeerrry few winter gloves with hard knuckle protection, so there are not a lot of options if this is high on you list of important things in a winter glove.

Overall I couldn't be happier with this glove and would recommend it to anyone who truly wants to ride comfortably in the winter.

Well I've now ridden into the 10's and I can say that these gloves work great as commuter gloves in that weather. By commuter I mean <30mins between getting on the bike, and getting off of it. Now you may say "aw, but I want to ride for more than 30 minutes" . Let's be realistic, if you rode for more than 30 minutes in the 10's more than likely the skin around your eyes would start feeling like dead frozen flesh too, so you'd have to stop anyway, so your fingers would get a chance to warm up thanks to the fact that you can't keep cold air out of your helmet and still be able to see. I still