Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

new helmet... I can never go back to bread and water

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new helmet... I can never go back to bread and water

ORIGINAL: patas75

I first started out with an HJC helmet. I bought it at the dealer cuz i needed a helmet to take my bike home and didn't want to spend a lot on the helmet. I then bought a Shoei RF-1000, forget the name of it, and it worked good. I did find that it fogged up quick on me and it took it a while to clear even with all of the vents open. At times I left the shield cracked so I can see. I then got a Fog City sticker and it made things better. Another thing I noticed is that it kept moisture in the padding so it got stinky quick. I now have an Arai RX-7 Corsair and though it fogs up, I guess I'm a heavy breather, it clears up faster than the Shoei. Also the padding dries up quicker and it doesn't smell. I do have to clean out the pads but not as often as the Shoei.

On a side note, my friend has a Scorpion EXO-400 and that thing will not fog up on him. He rides in to work at 5am and the shield is clear where mine would fog up.
I'm also looking into Scorpion helmets (EXO-700). I've heard that the anti-fog works great and people really like the fit. Plus its a reasonable price. I'm going to go try some on this weekend I think.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:32 PM

Virtual I really recommend going to excalibur powersports in CT I don't think it's to much of a drive where you live bout an hr and 1/2 but worth it you can try on almost any helmet jacket from any major name brand you know. Also there prices are negotiable, so if theres something you like you will be able to haggle the msrp. If your intrested in going there give me a pm and I'll get you there exact address.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:12 PM

My head is 7 3/8 also. I wore a size L HJC, but I had to go with an XL Shoei (I have the RF900 Chimera). Like others have said, try one on before you buy it. Some helmets just won't fit your head correctly. For instance, I had my heart set on an Arai, but it just didn't feel right on me. Same with Soumy. But Shoei . . ahhh just right

Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Retired Administrator

I am a 7 3/4 I think.. I had an XL HJC and had to move up to an XXL Shoei. I tried on the XL and it was pain... not uncomfortable, but actual pain. I didn't know my melon was that big. And my face is round.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My head measures about 7 3/8th and is more long then round. I wear a small Shoei RF-1000.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Melantus

Virtual I really recommend going to excalibur powersports in CT I don't think it's to much of a drive where you live bout an hr and 1/2 but worth it you can try on almost any helmet jacket from any major name brand you know. Also there prices are negotiable, so if theres something you like you will be able to haggle the msrp. If your intrested in going there give me a pm and I'll get you there exact address.
I just PM'd you, but let me know what the address is. Thanks Dan!

Old 01-08-2006, 01:37 PM

I tried on Shoie & Arai at a local shop.....I went in 100% sure i was going to buy the RF1000(Voltage), but after trying on the Arai Signet-GTR, there was no comparison....The Signet fit my head perfectly. Arai has a couple of different lines(Signet,QuantumRX7) each made for a different shape head. plus you can get thicker/thinner pads for a exact fit....Im sure Shoie does the same.... So anyone looking to try on a helment no matter what brand, dont asume all HJC's or all Shoie's fit the same....Try on the different lines within the same manufacturer

My $0.02..

Old 01-09-2006, 01:05 AM

Hmm, looks framiliar don....LoL. I have the exact same helmet and posted pics of it after i wrecked right before X-mas! Need to buy a new one, now you can see why i refuse to buy any other helmet than the Shoei RF1000 series.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:44 AM

So Wil did excalibur work out for you?

Old 01-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: HighRevver

Hmm, looks framiliar don....LoL. I have the exact same helmet and posted pics of it after i wrecked right before X-mas! Need to buy a new one, now you can see why i refuse to buy any other helmet than the Shoei RF1000 series.
Dude... that's wrong. I don't like seeing my new helmet in that kind of condition. I some how missed the post with the pics of your helmet.

Quick Reply: new helmet... I can never go back to bread and water