Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

new helmet... I can never go back to bread and water

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:04 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new helmet... I can never go back to bread and water

I've been researching what helmet to buy for months now... I have/had an HJC. Very simple helmet. I started looking at the Scorpion EXO-700. When I asked a online shop to tell me their review of it... I got the response of: It's a good helmet in the price range of the KBC,Icon,HJC,ect... Damn, I'm tired of buying helmets only to be let down. So I decided to expand my budget a little more and started looking at Shoei. I now own the Shoei RF-1000 Diabolic. Wow... I can now say I can never go back to bread and water again. The difference is night and day, now wait, that's a big understatement. The difference is being married to Angelina Jolie or Roseanne Bar, and by married… I mean having sex with. This helmet is so much lighter and fits perfect. The noise reduction is perfect… there was very little wind noise, but I could hear my wife talking to me with both face shields down (her helmet and mine). I can’t say enough good things about it and I’ve only had it for a few hours. Well worth the extra $$$. Saves me from having to upgrade later. Another point, I never really looked at the Diabolic online. I liked the other graphics better, until I tried one on. The pictures of the helmets on line do not show you anything. You have to see them up close and in person to see what they really look like. And I have to move up from an XL to an XXL. Guess I have a big melon.

Name:  RF1000_Diabolic_b.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  53.4 KB

Old 12-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Default RE: new helmet... I can never go back to bread and water

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. I like it it's Good for me.
Repsol1

Old 12-31-2005, 01:53 AM

I'm definately a Shoei guy, only because they fit my head the best out of all other brands. My wife has a RF-1000 and it's very nice and I'm told has better ventilation than my X-11. I've been riding with the earlier version (RF-900) since I got my RR and I'm very happy with it!

Congrats on the new lid...

P.S. I also have an HJC helmet as a passenger, throw around lid and I can't stand wearing the thing because it feels like one of those big metal diving helmets.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:27 PM

Sweet helmet, fellow melon head!

I am on a tight budget so I went with an 04 model HJC Von Breaker ($65 delivered).

Old 01-03-2006, 06:24 PM

At first I had a Schuberth Concept helmet. But it was havy and it had a lazy design...

Now I have a Shoei XR-1000 (RF-1000) Alloy TC5

Its lighter and it looks much more sporty than the Schuberth. But the ventilation of the Schuberth helmet is better...
Nevertheless the Shoei is a nice and high-quality helmet and I'm satisfied with it

A question: Do you have to wear a helmet in USA?
In Germany you have to wear a helmet and I think thats very important!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: sammy600

A question: Do you have to wear a helmet in USA?
In Germany you have to wear a helmet and I think thats very important!
It varies state to state...some states have a helmet law and others don't...it depends where you live because we don't usually pass laws for the entire United States of America.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

It varies state to state...some states have a helmet law and others don't...it depends where you live because we don't usually pass laws for the entire United States of America.
Really? Someone should tell the US Congress that! Just kidding.

I live in PA an our helmet law was repealed recently. I personally always wear my helmet and don't understand all the people out there that don't wear them. I even saw a guy on a sportbike this past summer with no helmet, t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. I stay far away from people like that. At least he was not riding a Honda.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet lid!! And I couldn't agree with you more.... I was the same, started with a Scorpion EXO-700 and it was definitely good for the price but the visor mechanism broke twice, then got an HJC AC-11 which fit pretty good, but I've gotta give that helmet some credit cuz without it I probably wouldn't be here today.... it saved my life in a nice lil highway crash, so it's been retired with it's ground down flat spots on the back of it, hahah. After that I was using a spare HJC CL-14 which SUCKED!! Didn't fit me right at all, way too tight in the forehead and too loose on the sides. I would get a headache after riding for a while, plus it would vibrate all around at higher speeds, and since I wear eyeglasses, it appeared as if the whole world was vibrating right along with it, LOL. Then I too decided to spend a little more and get a quality lid.... I got an RF-1000 Volage and absolutely LOVE IT!!! It's sooooooo much more comfortable than any of the others, especially the CL-14, and the ventilation is fantastic. On our trip back from Alabama last month, we rode 17.5 hours straight coming home, and my head was perfectly comfortable the entire way. No more cheap helmets for me either!

Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi
we rode 17.5 hours straight coming home, and my head was perfectly comfortable the entire way. No more cheap helmets for me either!

17.5 miles! Damn dude that is hard core! I also have a Shoei RF-1000 and love everything about it except the color. It is gloss black. I wish now I would have bought somethign a little more flashy. Excuse me for wanting to mix style with saftey.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 05Tribal
17.5 miles! Damn dude that is hard core! I also have a Shoei RF-1000 and love everything about it except the color. It is gloss black. I wish now I would have bought somethign a little more flashy. Excuse me for wanting to mix style with saftey.
Yea that was quite a ride, LOL. That was our trip up to Birmingham, AL to visit Barber last month. Got delayed cuz of bad weather the night we were supposed to leave to start heading home, so we had to leave the next morning and do the entire ride from Birmingham to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale in one shot. What sucked even more was that it was 38 degrees and raining when we left B'ham, and it didn't stop raining until 40 miles south of Gainesville, FL.... 13 hours later. Left B'ham at 7:00 am and finally got home at 12:30 am, got 5 hours sleep and got up at 6:30am to go to work 8-5:30.... that sucked! hahah Pics from the trip are here <--[click click]

Quick Reply: new helmet... I can never go back to bread and water