Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

New Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Helmet

HJC ac12 if you can find one (they were discontinued).....or the new FS-15.......Either way, for around $200 HJC has some of the best in that price range in my opinion

Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

You only get ONE head.. what is it worth to you? I'll only ride with Shoei Arai or Scorpion now.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. When looking at reviews online of HJC, they say wind noise and comfortability is not that great. So I have been looking at Shoei TZ-R for exactly $200. Going to find a place to go and try some on to make sure it fits good.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:16 PM

There is a piece you can buy for some helmets that goes by your chin, I know Scorpion has them, it reduces wind from coming up in that area. Also closing your air vents to your helmet can also help to reduce noise in some helmets. My icon decay can whistle and make weird noises if I dont close the vents. If your only cruising around at like 60mph you really dont need to do none of that though.
________
Medical marijuana macomb dispenseries

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:28 PM

Yea I know but I plan to take some long rides this summer so just want to invest in a good helmet that has low noise levels and comfortable. A few reviews online convinced me of Shoei TZ-R

Old 01-24-2009, 02:37 PM

Here is a nice link to some helmet reviews that seem unbiased:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Old 01-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Thanks that is the website I was getting most of my reviews from

Old 01-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Scorpion EXO-700. They have sick designs and they are comfortable. Mine get a littleloud at around 75mph but i just put the chin guard on and it is quiet. Only way to go.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:54 PM

ski-doo modular is pretty nice helmet for snowmobiling but yet the most unsafe helmet ever. I would you wear something that the whole face lifts up and is just connected by two little clips.

I don't think you can really get picky up wind noise for $200. In my opinion helmets anywhere in the $100-$200 range are basically the same. I always rode HJC in my family and after spending $375 on an arai (quantum II on ebay, brand new) I will never buy cheap again. The weight difference alone is enough not to buy a cheap helmet in the first place.

If your okay with used helmets: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arai-...Q5fMerchandise

Otherwise jus look around ebay. If you decide to go with a different brand than you already have make sure you try it on (at a store near you or something) before purchasing online. All brands fit differently.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 PM

buy the lightest, most comfortable helmet you can find and afford. Do not buy a helmet on line unless you have already worn it around a store for 20-30 minutes. You need to go try helmets on, it needs to be snug around your forehead and cheeks. you should not be able to move it up down or twist it on your head. After you find a helmet that seems to fit snug in all areas, wear it for atleast 15-20 or longer around the store. If a helmet does not fit correctly, you will develop pressure points where it doesnt fit just right pretty quickly that will make it very uncomforable to wear for riding, and it will distract your attention from riding, and it will give you headaches. You need to find a helmet that you dont even notice your wearing on long rides.

Wind noise is something to consider, but you should be wearing ear plugs anyways, so that is kinda secondary to me.

fwiw, I just purchased my 4th Arai helmet yesterday.

Quick Reply: New Helmet