Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

new helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sledding fraternity up here ( snowmobiles ) use 'em alot ....cheap lid that works fine imo

Old 02-15-2011, 01:31 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry wasnt tryin to be a hater....

ide heard from someone that gmax wasnt snell approved... if it is totally legit...

personally ide rather go with a better known brand.... not saying that the helmets not great.... but i prefer something tried and true...

esp. by track users...

as for you shortee lol sayin as long as its dot approved.... i do very badly hope you realize they pretty much approve of anything that sits on top of your head

Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im gonna start riding with a beanie then

Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i have noticed that not all of gmax helmets are snell approved and some of them are.

i looked inside and it does have a tag saying the date it was snell tested.

i do not wanna have something on my head that will crack same time my skull is cracking. i do want something that will protecting me. and as its snell approved i think it gives me little reassurance that it will do just that.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fMerchandise

dot approved... but would i use it $%^&* no

almost every ebay cheapo helmet is dot approved....

Snell, which is not a government certified organization, follows a method of testing that is radically different and much tougher than that of DOT. A helmet has to go through lot of tests before its declared safe to wear. The basic tests that are conducted on helmets are those which test the impact of a steel ended rod on it. The tests conducted by DOT or Snell are a conclusive proof of the helmet’s safety; and most riders rely on the “Tested” stamp by one of these organizations when buying helmets. Helmet manufacturers get their helmets standardized as this is a guarantee of sure safety.
  • DOT Rating
DOT has a set of guidelines that every helmet manufacturer has to obey. Beyond this, there is no actual test that the helmet has to pass in order to be certified with the safety mark. As long as the guidelines have been followed, it is assumed that the helmets have met the standards set by DOT.

On some occasions however, tests are carried out. The aim of the tests is to measure the impact created on the helmets due to collision. For this, the helmet, placed over a stimulated head is dropped down from a height of around ten feet. An immense pressure of 400G is applied on the helmet. This test shows how susceptible the helmets are to high impacts; and therefore how much risk factor the person wearing the helmet has to go through if he meets with an accident.

• Snell Rating
The Snell standardization test is the toughest in the country and therefore its standards are much more difficult to meet. The helmet in question has to pass as many as seven tests through many extreme conditions before it is declared safe to wear. The manufacturers have to take the initiative to get their helmets tested by Snell, and a price has to be paid for the tests. The Snell tests are tougher also because not one from each sample, but the entire lot of helmets is tested one by one so that each of them is equally safe under every condition. Some of the tests are conducted to test the impact of high force, heat and shell penetration on the helmets.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

well i think if its snell approved its ok by me. i might be new to bikes but i do know better than get cheapo to protect me. this helmet is just for now......i will get a better brand in the near future. for now im just getting the bike from the guys house to mine, about 5 miles. all the way is no more than 35 mph speed limit. besides,

The Snell standardization test is the toughest in the country and therefore its standards are much more difficult to meet. The helmet in question has to pass as many as seven tests through many extreme conditions before it is declared safe to wear.

i think this proves that they are ok helmets

Name:  DSC06694.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  116.8 KB

Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
well i think if its snell approved its ok by me. i might be new to bikes but i do know better than get cheapo to protect me. this helmet is just for now......i will get a better brand in the near future. for now im just getting the bike from the guys house to mine, about 5 miles. all the way is no more than 35 mph speed limit. besides,

The Snell standardization test is the toughest in the country and therefore its standards are much more difficult to meet. The helmet in question has to pass as many as seven tests through many extreme conditions before it is declared safe to wear.

i think this proves that they are ok helmets
i agree.... i was just trying to point out to shortee that just because a helmet is dot approved its not okay

Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i do agree with the helmets are crap if only DOT approved. and i sure dont want it on my dome. and i do not suggest it to anyone else. i dont see how they are legal in the first place.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Even though this thread is a little old I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

From a safety standpoint, the certifications (DOT, Snell, ECE, etc) will determine which brands and models have been tested to various safety standards. This can affect price when comparing helmets from the same brand (ie a GMAX DOT+Snell helmet will be more expensive than a GMAX DOT only helmet).

However, let's say you're comparing a $500 Shoei DOT/Snell helmet to a $100 GMAX DOT/Snell helmet. They both have the same safety certifications so why is the Shoei 5x more expensive?

Much of the price difference goes into keeping the rider comfortable while still maintaining those safety standards. Ventilation is usually a very noticeable difference, the Shoei will usually have more vents than the GMAX, but more importantly, those vents will flow air more effectively and keep the rider cooler than the GMAX will. The Shoei will also have nicer materials in the liner to wick sweat off your face and have antimicrobial materials to keep it from stinking. I've found that the foam on the higher end helmets seems to be a little more firm which will keep the helmet snug against your face and won't break down as quickly.

Build quality and attention to detail are other noticeable differences. I've always noticed the visors on cheaper helmets seem to have a looser feel when flipping the visor up and down, I have even had friends who complain the the visor will sometimes pop up if they turn to look to the side or behind them while riding. The higher end helmets definitely have more defined intervals for the up/down settings and will even stay at a half open setting at highway speeds (not very necessary, but sometimes it helps to crack the shield open one notch). Paint quality and finish are also factors that increased cost ($900 Moto GP replica Arai's )

I will say, after experiencing some of the higher end helmets out there, it definitely begins to justify the higher price tag. They may not be safer than some of the cheaper brands and you might be paying a bit for the name, but damn they're nice.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

i agree with you.....

i just bought a scorpion helmet and the quality of it much better than Gmax.
maybe in the future i will go higher price range.

Quick Reply: new helmet