Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.
View Poll Results: Most visible to other road users?
Red
76.92%
Blue
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Most Visible Helmet colour, Red or Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely going to invest in some reflective tape, My jacket is black but has a reflective seam and reflective logo on the back. I suppose every little helps but still need to be alert at all times no matter how visible I make myself.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SoupDoggyDog
Update :-

Once again a massive THANK YOU to all who responded to my post, it looks like the Red is the one to go for but as I have just phoned the shop and the Blue is the only one left it would seem the decision has been made for me, but the offer on this helmet is too good to miss, KBC VR-2R RRP £170 ($275) now £85 ($138) ACU Gold, DOT/SNELL, ECA ECE R 22.05 Approved.

Just need to find some reflective tape :-)

Get a roll of reflective rim tape and do with it what you will. The blue would look good on that helmet.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM

Yeah, a black/dark tint is illegal in the UK (Northern Ireland) as far as I'm aware, so too is mirrored, a light tint is all you are allowed but may be wrong.

Originally Posted by 74demon
Get a roll of reflective rim tape and do with it what you will. The blue would look good on that helmet.
Didn't know it came in different colours, thanks for the info

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-21-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Please don't rely on your 'hi-vis' to make you visible.

Clear day, good weather conditions, high visibility clothing and flashing lights ... and still invisible.

My current bike is all white and so is my helmet - much like a policeman - and I know that other road users don't see me, because when they do their reaction lets me pinpoint the moment that they see a "police bike". Usually the first thing they do is brake, even if they weren't speeding.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Michelle
Please don't rely on your 'hi-vis' to make you visible...
Oh My G@@@@@D!!! That was mad!!! Hope they were ok

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-21-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: remove repost of vid
Old 09-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aijjaijjai... That flight looked pretty darn bad... U guys got me thinking about putting some of that tape in my hard hat too... Gotta see if I can find some that would please the eye and not pop up too much in daylight...

Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Please don't rely on your 'hi-vis' to make you visible.
I don't know what kind of FAIL that was but it sure had nothing to do with Hi Vis.

WTF was he doing ?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Official Junior Possum Member

I went through the MSF's sport bike course last Friday, and the rider coach told us that out of all the colors, a pure white helmet was the color that prevented the most collisions (or help prevent).

I guess some study was conducted, and that's what came up. I think it was like 30% more effective or something.

On a sidenote: a reflective vest does wonders at night. They cover a larger area and really light up.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
I don't know what kind of FAIL that was but it sure had nothing to do with Hi Vis.

WTF was he doing ?
Stopping traffic. Ya gotta admit he did that.
It would seem that they wanted one lane blocked to let the ambulance or whatever* through without a stop. He was doing ok until that one just failed to see him - and its not like it was even the car directly behind the truck.

The point is, he was totally visible. The problem is, he was only visible to somebody watching where they were going.

* prison van maybe?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Stopping traffic. Ya gotta admit he did that.
It would seem that they wanted one lane blocked to let the ambulance or whatever* through without a stop. He was doing ok until that one just failed to see him - and its not like it was even the car directly behind the truck.

The point is, he was totally visible. The problem is, he was only visible to somebody watching where they were going.

* prison van maybe?
Of course we're getting WAY off topic now but...

Geez I dont know.

I mean what , 4 or 5 cars DID see him and move over plus the rig. I can't for the life of me imagine who would do what he did for any reason. I'm guessing with the lights and all that he must have been a cop or some kind of emergency official? Just absolutely rediculous on all accounts, amazing the (low) level of intellegence out there.

Quick Reply: Most Visible Helmet colour, Red or Blue?