Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.
View Poll Results: Most visible to other road users?
Red
76.92%
Blue
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Most Visible Helmet colour, Red or Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly suggest a hi-vis color. I'm very glad I got mine. I feel as if some people just do not pay enough attention as is and that I might have been hit or had more close calls had I not gotten the hi-vis helmet that I did.

I got a nice mix of hi vis and black, I got a Shoei QWEST...very nice helmet but very expensive too haha. Plenty of good hi vis options out there!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies, definitely a great idea about the reflective tape, the blue is lighter than the red and probably got more white than I had described in my original question, thanks again

Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Personally I'd say Red, I ride alot of a night and Red is easier to see than blue with just my headlights.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thats why this forum is so valuable!!!

reflective tape!!! awesome guys... i know what i'm buying this week..
i just bought a helmet and bought something that matches my bike but if i thought of the reflective tape i probably would have gone with a different color like black.. well now i know i can buy black... sweet!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 PM

i went flat black I am in the process of redoing it white, but I think that rim tape/ reflective tape is an AWESOME idea.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 AM

Update :-

Once again a massive THANK YOU to all who responded to my post, it looks like the Red is the one to go for but as I have just phoned the shop and the Blue is the only one left it would seem the decision has been made for me, but the offer on this helmet is too good to miss, KBC VR-2R RRP £170 ($275) now £85 ($138) ACU Gold, DOT/SNELL, ECA ECE R 22.05 Approved.

Just need to find some reflective tape :-)

Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know have I just gotten used to seeing those hi-vis vests and other clothes at work (even have hi-vis pants on right now) and not pay that much attention to them anymore, but IMO a plain Hi-vis helmet vs a normal one with no other clothing or other won't do s**t. Example I see almost every day: bmw bike hi-vis yellow helmet, all matt black gear with no reflectors. Zero help in the dark, looks dumb in daylight. Different story with the reflectors. i'd say that blue helmet with some 3m tape will be way better cause it has bright very noticeable texture. My own helmet is silver because it's light color, reflects sunlight and also headlights, looks pretty good with a mirror visor and the other option was wine red. I say helmet color won't give you much security, it's what's in the lid that matters...

Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 AM

I'd like a mirrored visor but they're illegal here in the UK although most bikers I see out here have dark tint visors which I think are also illegal, I'll keep the clear visor on for a good while I think as I'm a new rider & wouldn't feel comfortable using a tinted visor due to my lack of experience.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm, first time I ever hear visor tint being illegal. I have it cause my nolan has them no-tool quick locks so when it's darker outside or a rainy day I have my clear on in less than a minute.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Solid yellow helment with 1" yellow reflective tape accent stripes. My goal is to be obnoxiously visible."

Going back to my earlier comment on being obnoxiously visible....A lot can be done with some creative use of reflective tape on the bike, clothing, helmet. To me helmet color does play a minor part in daylight visibility, as does the color of your bike, jacket.... The object is to stand out in relation to your background. Where you ride can be a consideration.

The effect of reflector tape on a helmet is accentuated by movement and since your head is constantly in motion you get the maximum benefit. Be bold in your use of reflector tape all around. I occassionaly see another rider with a matte black helment and black relector tape, during the day the two blend well but as it gets dark, the tape really stands out.

Quick Reply: Most Visible Helmet colour, Red or Blue?