Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Leathers

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leathers

Hi all, thinking of getting my first pair of leathers. Can't afford a new pair but would be able to get a good quality used one's off a certain auction site. There's a pair about 44" uk size chest. Me being maybe that or slightly bigger by maybe an inch would these be ok. The leathers are no doubt strechted a bit and currently fit nicely a 44" chest. So how snug are leathers supposed to fit as all the one's i see getting worn seem very tight, thanks.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fitting leathers is a personal preference...some like them skin-tight, others like them w/ some room to move around more. Most importantly tho, you don't the fit to restrict movement...especially when you're hanging off in the turns. Too, leathers fit differently from one brand to the next. Its always beneficial to be able to try them on individually. However, if buying used, you don't always have that option. As mentioned tho, they will tend to already be broken in, which is a plus - you won't have to do that...& they should fit more true to size or a little more loose.

Good luck shopping.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM

ok thanks for your reply.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want to get a suit that is too loose.The last thing you want in case of a fall is to have you protective armor move and not protect you.If the suit is snug,then you might not be able to install a chest and back protector if that's your choice.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Excellent point about the back protector... In fact, most track day organizations require a back protector. When I try on new suits, I take my back protector w/ me...speaking of which is a Spidi Back Warrior. My 1pc suit is also Spidi. My 2pc suit is an Alpinestars.

Regarding 2pc suits... A 2pc will provide you w/ more flexibility, in that, you can use it for wknd twisties & track. On hot summer days, its really nice to be able to stop for a break somewhere & being able to take off the jacket to cool off. Most every track day organization I know of, allows 2pc suits - as long as they zip together. Just something else for you to consider.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 AM

You want your suit to be snug but not so tight it is causing pain or making it hard to move. The reason is that if you crash you want your suit to make it so you slide. If you wear a suit that is loose and you fall you won't slide because the extra fabric will make you flip around and tumble which leads to broken bones. The best way to tell is by sitting on the bike or bending down into a race position. It will generally be a little uncomfortable when standing because these suits are made to be comfortable when racing. Each brand makes their gear for specific body types too.