Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Joe Rocket RKT 101 Carbon Fiber Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My reasoning Kuro is mostly fit and function. I imagine the safety of all helmets discussed to be fairly close.

Having started with an HJC, I can tell you my shoei is worlds beyond in ventability, comfort, customisability with the padding, and weight. For me, the helmet just fits better and is more versatile and feels better. That plays into fatigue and awareness for me as most of my weekend rides are better than 3 hours and I feel like that keeps me safer.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh gonna be spending a fortune in helmets I see. Ventilation really can't be checked in the store.

I mean I'm fast and all. But running laps around the store going 'Vrroom, vrroooom!' just isn't gonna replicate highway speeds, no?

Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I mean I'm fast and all. But running laps around the store going 'Vrroom, vrroooom!' just isn't gonna replicate highway speeds, no?
Good one Kuroshio.

The last two helmets I bought were Shoei RF-1000's. Absolutely love the fit, air flow, & light weight. The visors are easy to change. Previously, I've owned Shark, AGV, etc. However, I tend to come back to the Shoei most often due to what I mentioned above.

All the talk about which helmet is best is really relative anyway b/c one helmet brand might not fit your noggin's shape & another will. You wear what fits you best & what you can afford. Too, availability is a big factor. Frankly, I wouldn't buy a helmet sight-unseen. There's just too many factors...mainly, in not being able to try them on first. Example...two helmets can be of the same model but have slight variations. Its much better to try them on at your closest dealer & make you choice, & buy it there.

I don't know about where you're considering ordering from but make sure you can get a full refund if you're not happy w/ it.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Old 05-03-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Sounds like you need to upgrade that cart to the litre dude!!

Nah, if you just go try the stuff on you can feel it. Especially the weight and the comfort.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Ah well, Revzilla was closed today. They apparently changed their hours.

I usually go with my fashionista girlfriend on Mondays (her day off) to make sure I don't come out looking like Robo-Clown

Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 PM

I have to HJC FS-15 carbon fiber....I love it. super light and comfy

Old 05-04-2010, 04:00 PM

Went by Revzilla in between jobs. If it weren't for the fact the owner lets me slide so much, I'd think he has my computer bugged. When I walked in the store, they had only 1 of the blue helmets size Large actually inside the store. I'm thinking shenanigans (ok not really, I peeked over the sales guy's shoulder and saw the store stock).

Needless to say, my cc was already working its way out of my card carrier. Tried it on and tried on a medium in red to compare sizes. And had the dude measure my noggin to make sure. As suspected, the running the store a couple times didn't do much other than make them laugh. So $200 later and I walked out with the helmet and a replacement smoke visor (that's why I LOVE Revzilla).

I'll give it a bigger review when I ride with it a couple times. But first impressions on the ride home: With the vents fully open it has more air coming in than my AGV K3 w/ open vents and the face shield cracked. Riding in early this morning, I had to crack the AGV open at lights to cool off a little. This afternoon, when the temp was higher, I kept the shield closed the entire time and felt more than enough air flow. Maybe too much because there was a definite wind noise from the vents. But today was pretty damn gusty too.

Gotta play with it a bit and let you know the final verdict. So far though the sale price is less than my AGV. And seems better overall.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Some pics. The light doesn't do the color justice. In sunlight its a deep, rich blue

Name:  IMG_0140.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0141.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0143.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM

here's mine
Name:  FS-151.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  48.5 KB

Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice deal w/ Revzilla Kuroshio. Nice lookin' lid. Reminds me of a bowling ball I used to have. J/k. ;-) Good looking helmet. Look forward to more rider's reports on performance.

Quick Reply: Joe Rocket RKT 101 Carbon Fiber Helmet