Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Joe Rocket RKT 101 Carbon Fiber Helmet

Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Joe Rocket RKT 101 Carbon Fiber Helmet

I hate having Revzilla in my browser's startup tabs They have this on sale for $199

Anyone suggestions? Can swing by on Monday and see it live. Just want some opinions

Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Know whatca mean about your email inbox. ;-D I've got CycleGear sending me jazz like every other day.

Anyway, yes, the CF helmets are pretty nice.

Have been noticing a trend in helmets lately... Top tier brands like Shoei, Arai, Suomy, etc, have been going up even higher in price. Meanwhile, more budget minded helmets like Scorpion, HJC, etc etc etc, have been steadily increasing in quality, innovation, & value.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HJC and Joe Rocket Helmets are the same with a different name printed on. That being said ... I'm not a fan of either. Check out www.motorcyclecloseouts.com Shoei RF1000 is $275 right now and a much better helmet. Shark RSR2 is pretty cheap as well.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

newenough is selling the copper ones right now for 142.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't bring myself to go with a Joe rocket lid... It'll be shoei or better for me...

Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Ok yall saying no on the JR helmet, can you say why?

It's DOT and Snell rated. Seems to have a lot of ventilation built in. I'll go an see it at Revzilla, try it on. But what's the reasoning for the downing?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just FYI just because it's DOT and SNELL approved doesn't mean it's good.

Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA and WERA and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racers competing in world championship road racing, motocross and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP. Helmets that are certified to both DOT and ECE 22.05 offer the highest level of realistic protection with the added benefit of light weight for day-long comfort and rider performance.

the whole thing if you feel like reading it...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../ece-22-05.htm

My reason is not that it won't protect you. It will, otherwise they wouldn't be producing the helmet to begin with. Don't just go with the "it's DOT and Snell approved" phrase that everyone seems to be chanting. There's stricter standards out there that helmets are built by.

And I've already mentioned that HJC and JR are literally the same helmet, just with different paint and a different brand printed on. I had plenty of HJC helmets. They were hot, uncomfortable, and the padding broke down faster than anything. If you're dead set on having a helmet that looks like CF just to be cool then by all means get it. When I buy a helmet the biggest thing I look for is how it fits. It is essential to have one that is comfortable and snug. The second is ventilation and third would be fogging. No matter how much a company advertises that their helmet doesn't fog, there is always a temperature at which it will. That being said, the last thing I look for is the looks of a helmet.

To add to this ... just because the helmet is CF does NOT mean that it is light. The weight savings on a CF helmet can be nulled by the weight of the padding inside, the shield, or even the paint or wrap on the lid. I've seen several CF helmets weigh more than helmets made of a combination of materials including CF

Last edited by botlfed; 05-02-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:15 PM

That's more of what I was asking for. Specifics go better than just saying "JR is HJC" and not being a fan.

I understand protection very well. I personally choose to sacrifice some protection and my bike's performance for style and comfort. I don't wear full race boots, wearing riding shoes. My jacket is competition level protection but I wear normal jeans (for the moment). So I may feasibly skip a helmet that doesn't meet race organization certifications if it meets DOT and Snell certifcations. If its comfortable to me and fits my style.

That said, I'd also mention that just because a helmet doesn't meet a specific certification doesn't necessarily mean it won't protect as well. Manufacturers may skip going through the certification process to save time / money.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

coincidentally, a review of the JR RKT-101 is a link on the page supplied above. looked like a quite positive review imo.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered a Joe Rocket carbon like the one in the original post, except mine was dark red. I also order a Shoei RF-1000 at the same time, knowing that I'd return one of them. The Joe Rocket fit me slightly better but the color was a little off for my bike.

The other deciding factors on my deciding to keep the Shoei were the brand name and that someone pointed out that the Joe Rocket graphic on the front looks somewhat like a phallic symbol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joe Rocket RKT 101 Carbon Fiber Helmet