Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Jackets like Joe Rocket Alter Ego?? (Women's)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackets like Joe Rocket Alter Ego?? (Women's)

Hello, I'm needing a good all weather jacket that's versatile like the JR Alter Ego for my girlfriend. Any suggestions? I'm liking the Alter Ego, but if I'm going to shell out a couple hundred bucks I might as well get something really good (also wouldn't mind cheaper than $240 jackets as long as it has the features like the JR jacket). She rides with me in cold and extreme heat!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know, the Alter Ego line from JR is the only one that offers the zip off panels to expose the mesh underneath.

Not exactly the same, but I actually have the first generation of the Alter Ego pants and they rock! Had them out just below 30* (with jeans underneath) and they were perfectly warm. Had them up around 100* in the summer with the textile parts zipped off and they can still get a little warm, but they do flow more air (and offer way more protection) than jeans.

I would say if you really want an alternative jacket for year round riding, I would try to find a mesh (more air flow) or textile (more protection) jacket with a full sleeve liner, as opposed to just a vest liner. My mesh Icon jacket has a full sleeve, waterproof and slightly insulated liner that works well and I believe most Joe Rocket jackets also have a full sleeve liner. Depending on how deep into the cold seasons she is willing to ride, she will probably have to layer up under any jacket, or layer over as I've done before with snowboarding jackets (blocks wind amazingly well).

Good luck on the search!