Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Good Leather Conditioner?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Leather Conditioner?

What do you guys use for your leather suits? I'd prefer something that's in spray form or something that's easy to apply.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get mine at Drysdales, but might have a line on some from a local saddelry, Mock Brothers. Brand isn't really as important as just DOing it to your leathers. Mine are 27 years old and still doing their job. Although I have replaced a lot of zippers. ;-)

My leather-smith tells me that the best way to apply it is from the ROUGH side. You apply it with a brush, let it stand over-night and then buff whatever is left in. She's done that with her dad's WW2 Bomber jacket and it's still buttery soft (that's, like, 55 years old) . If you take care of it leather is forever.

As far as the out-side, I use a leather-wax, buffed in HARD and they take a pretty good rain as well. Been in some pretty heavy rains and stayed as dry as chaps allow. ;-)

Ern

Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean rough side? Mine have a cloth lining on the inside.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everytime I buy something that says Dainese, the guys at Revzilla give me one of these. The cleaner is incredible. The neckline of my jacket was looking real grungy at the start of the season. Used it with a sponge and then had to use it on the whole jacket cause of the color difference

Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a leather suit, just a leather jacket (Komodo). I use Lexol on it. Within the 'leather-lover community,' if you can call it that, Lexol is more highly regarded than any other single product I know of. It works very well. They make a cleaner, too, which I've used with good success.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the liner pulled and treat my jacket once a decade or so, the chaps are easy cause there's no liner on them. Probably not the easy you were looking for, but, my investment keeps going heading into 30 years. Posted to show what's possible with leather, long-term. Short-term, conditioner then waxing on the out-side always helps, especially after a rain-ride.

Ern