Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

I need gear suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear list - opinions wanted!

I am changing this thread from what it originally was (a thread about what gear to buy) to a list of items I plan on getting, and the items I have. Since I am a new rider I hope that this will help other new riders pick gear that will work well for them as well.

PLEASE, if you have ANY suggestions, MAKE THEM!! Thanks!

Gear I currently own :
Stunt Leather Jacket | Alpinestars
Dainese Shield Air - G2 - KneeDraggers.com

Gear on my list to acquire :
SP-8 Leather Glove | Alpinestars
AXIOM Denim Pants | Alpinestars
Reflex Knee Guard | Alpinestars
Moto 800
SHOEI North America | RF-1100

Last edited by That Guy in Maine; 01-24-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Putting this here in your gear search thread for you to refer to more easily than your welcome post. ;-) It might also help others searching for help in this section as well.

Originally Posted by gotcbr
...Rule of Thumb w/ gear - you typically get what you pay for. Buy the best quality gear you can afford. However, to be clear, any gear is better than no gear at all! Don't rule out used gear either. There are many good deals on CL & ebay for lightly used but quality brand gear if you can't buy new.

For boots, you want a good over-the-ankle riding boot. Personally, I have a pair of Alpinestars touring boots & Sidi Vertigos. There are many other options as well.

For jackets & pants, I prefer leather w/ full CE armor. I have Alpinestars & Icon jackets. I also have a Joe Rocket Honda textile jacket w/ full CE. For track, I have both a 1pc Spidi suit & a 2pc Alpinestars suit (leather jacket zips to track pants). Again, many other options out there.

For helmets, I have Shoei but have had AGV & Bell as well. Scorpion, Arai, Suomy, etc, are other options. I recommend trying on as many dif helmets as possible...fit is a very personal preference. Do NOT buy used helmets.

Same as helmets, gloves come in many shapes, sizes, & styles. You'll find the right ones for you. I recommend -gauntlet- style gloves which cover the wrist...gives more protection if you come off the bike.

Have fun shopping! :-)

Last edited by gotcbr; 12-04-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haunt your local craiglist and be patient. I've gotten new/used Sidi and Frank Thomas boots for $70 and $30, repectively. I am a fan of chaps, they give all the protection and you have your side-walk pants under them. As GotCBR says, quality counts, but something is better than nothing. Leather is better than textile, for both abrasion resistance and durability/repair-ability.

Ern

Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM

I will be!

I bought a used helmet (taboo, I know) but I made sure it had no cracks or dents on the outter shell, only a few scuffs. If it doesn't come as described I've used eBay enough and I know taking a few pictures of the damage and sending the eBay message transcripts to customer support will get me my money back.

I've been looking on my local CL, not much for sale right now...I look every day or two for gear.

I am looking for a nice leather jacket, good pants (I like the idea of draggin jeans so I might get a pair of them new since they're about $120) some good armor, gloves, and boots.

Hoping to spend around $300 on that gear...probably won't be that cheap, but who knows, I might just get lucky!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The recommend usage life of a helmet is 5 yrs (reportedly due to material decay/effectiveness). However, I'd also be concerned if the helmet had any drops from handlebar level, damaging the impact characteristics. A helmet can take many drops w/o showing any outward damage whatsoever. Just be sure to thoroughly inspect the helmet. If you have any doubt at all...don't use it.

If you can't get the draggin jeans, www.carhartt.com makes some very durable double layer jeans that are thick & protective.

Last edited by gotcbr; 12-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Yeah, I definitely plan to inspect it very well.

I was thinking about carhartt, and also those duluth pants that are made using fire hose material...not sure how that would hold up though.

Any input on anything gear related is always good here! Thanks!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM

There are a number of very good Internet dealers with good rates on new pants and boots. I bought the Shift Kevlar reinforced jeans for about $85 from motosport.com. Also picked up some speed and strength boots for about $120. These, along with a quality jacket and gloves are must haves.

In addition to cl, you may want to check out eBay. I picked up a good used Joe Rocket Phoenix 4 jacket for ~$80.

These cost are far less than hospital and other medical bills if you take a spill w/o good gear. Good luck and have fun on the new bike!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks! I've been patrolling eBay looking for deals on stuff. I really want to get some good gear that will protect me if I do crash.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 AM

Hey guy,
Have you considered the draggin camo's? I own both but my jeans rarely get worn because I find the camo's so much more comfortable, I'll be buying another pair in black soon.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM

No...I don't want camo pants...

I'm also considering the Alpinestars kevlar pants, they're $100 (slightly cheaper) and look like they're a bit nicer than the draggin jeans.

Quick Reply: I need gear suggestions!