Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

How safe is mesh?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How safe is mesh?

I was thinking of getting a jacket for wearing in city (I wear full leather on highway)...
I'm ok with my leather, but I feel mesh might be easier to manage for everyday local road commutes.

When I bought my leathers I had read reports on how it lasts >80 feet before wearing through on gravel while even kevlar lasts 25 ft... but for in-city riding I dont expect to slide that far (not to tempt fate, just trying to reason)

I ask since it's much cheaper getting colored mesh jackets... I want something bright (I've all black leathers which are pretty invisible)

Are mesh jackets with ce armor ok for city then? Of course some guys ride in jeans and t-shirts but I'd like to hear the extra-safe guys on this topic...

opinions?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How safe is mesh?

In nearly 40 years of riding, I've gone down in leathers and gone down in textile and mesh. The leathers were still good for another day...the textile and mesh were shredded (but they did their job). I think of the mesh like a helmet - one strike and they've done their job, time for a new one.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 PM

My buddy low slided his 929 at about 90. He wore a Firstgear meshtex and only didnt get a scratch. So that was living proof enough for me to make the same purchase. I have the Meshtex 3.0. It breathes pretty well, has a removable waterproof liner, also has pretty thick pads in the arms and shoulders. (that are removable) And for a little over $100 (at cyclegear) not too hard on the pocket book. http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb.n...1?opendocument

Old 09-03-2007, 06:27 AM

To hot in texas and that is all I use. I've got one for work and one for sunday rides. For the winter I've got leather. I use the leather mabe three times. I live in south texas and it seldom gets cold here. Johnny

Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 PM

the mesh saved my life.and it only got broken when the medics cut it off rather then take it off.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM

you'll be fine with mesh i think...especially in the city where you're prob not going faster than like 25 MPH anyway

Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM

I think it depends a lot more on the quality of the particular jacket, some look like they would hold up for about 5 feet.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:06 PM

+1 for city or stop and go traffic. I don't think mesh is all that protective, but it's better than nothing, and at less than $150 it is cheap peace of mind.

I use my mesh jacket commuting on clogged freeways and city streets, but not when I am railing around on mountain roads.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 PM

Yeah I'm in florida and its hot as hell here but when you get moving even a little the mesh is good for keeping cool. Also I feel confident that it would protect in a slide no problem.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:34 AM

Mesh is great. good for ventilation and offers the same protection if padded sufficiently. City commutes should be just fine but one downside is that ur clothes underneath the jacket will sometimes smell like smoke from other vehicles.

Quick Reply: How safe is mesh?