Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Help with jacket search

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with jacket search

I'm looking for a jacket in textile or leather, willing to pay if it just screams gotta have it. I don't really care for graphics or emblems and what not, I just want to keep it simple/contemporary. I'd love it if it had provisions for chest armor as well, but that doesn't seem to be something alot of brands are doing. So far the only thing I've seen I really care for is this guy Icon Brawnson Jacket - RevZilla

Any recomendations?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by lethallyinjected
I'm looking for a jacket in textile or leather, willing to pay if it just screams gotta have it. I don't really care for graphics or emblems and what not, I just want to keep it simple/contemporary. I'd love it if it had provisions for chest armor as well, but that doesn't seem to be something alot of brands are doing. So far the only thing I've seen I really care for is this guy Icon Brawnson Jacket - RevZilla

Any recomendations?
A lot depends on where you ride. For some guys in hot weather climates the vented riding jackets with a zip out liner are perfect.

I have a Alpinestars GP full leather jacket with armor that I use on days that are cooler. It is too hot though for use in the heat of the summer. So I picked up a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4 jacket on EBay. It really works well in the summer and still has armor in the elbows and back areas.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get leather.You can get one perforated with a liner,for them summer days you can remove the liner.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haunt your local Craiglist, I see 3-4 alpinestar/joe rocket/hein gerke/etc. on the
listings in my area, all the time. Usually around $45-$100. I've also managed to get a
set of Sidi boots for $70 and a pair of frank thomas for my sweetie for $30. Both in
minty-fresh condition. You just got to be patient and persistent. I generally try to
hook up in public or at their pad, so they don't see my toys or where I keep them,
though. At those prices, it's easy to get some quality gear, dirt cheap.

Ern

Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM

I'm actually in OKC, depending on the deal a trip to Tulsa might be worth it. Side note: It's a shame about TRP too.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 AM

I grabbed a 4 season jacket for dirt cheap from http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/street+jackets+40-70+percent+off/scorpion_strike+jacket. If you browse the site, they have some nice prices. I'm happy with the quality of the jacket too. I managed to find a jacket and helmet for my wife as well. Craigslist is also great, but just be ready to be patient.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 AM

So shortly after this on cyber Monday Revzilla dropped the alpinestars P1 drystar from 289.95 to 129.99. I just couldn't pass up that deal. Went with XL. I had tried on medium and large alpinestars stuff at a local cycle gear. Medium there was no f'n way. Large was about perfect arm length, but about 3/4ths the way zipping up the front it was just too tight. I guess I have a larger chest/neck. The XL Fits great if I'm going to have the liner or a layer under it. No real venting, but it'd be a great cold/cooler warmer jacket I think. I think I'll go after a mesh/textile hybrid from alpinestars when summer comes. I'd highly recomend this thing at this price. I threw down for the bionic chest pads bio armor back protector since the price was so low. Full armor compliment quality jacket coming in at 200 all said and done, I don't think you can really beat that.

In case anyone is interested: Alpinestars P1 Drystar Jacket - RevZilla

Now I'm just going to have to scrounge up some cash for the closeout bell stars that are around before it's too late...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Darn good deal, grats! You'd have a hard time beating that. If I wasn't already over-geared (except for the Gerbing heated stuff), I'd consider one. Sharp cut, I dig the
euro-styling. ;-)

Ern