Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?

Yeah I would go with the light smoke. I dont ride much at night (hate cleaning the dam bugs off of everything!) but on the occasions when I do, I'm glad Ive got the light smoke. ya want to see the dear and the antilope play...ya know? but the only time the sun really becomes an issue is like after 4pm, but, ya just deal with it for a few unless your heading West across the plains or somethin.

I just saw athread the other day...oh what the hell was it?? AKUMA? AKUMA helmets I think...they just came out with a AUTO-DIM sheild. you can only get it for their helmets and I think the package goes for around 550, checkaround, I forget what post it was in.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 PM

I have a dark smoke and i wouldn't not want it any lighter, I think light smoke would just be the worst of both worlds, to light to be truly effective during the day, and an annoyance at night. If I plan on being out after dark i take my clear shield with me, or use it plus glasses. some times i throw a pair of clear glasses in my back but i don't like doing that because wind leaks around them and blurs my vision.

As far as carrying a shield, i have seen a side slung pouch that you wear under you jacket and it holds the shield so it contours against you ribs, pretty neet, but doesn't look any better then a back pack and it holds less. I just wear back pack, when there is not much in it you don't even know its there.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by dragginazz
Yeah I would go with the light smoke. I dont ride much at night (hate cleaning the dam bugs off of everything!) but on the occasions when I do, I'm glad Ive got the light smoke. ya want to see the dear and the antilope play...ya know? but the only time the sun really becomes an issue is like after 4pm, but, ya just deal with it for a few unless your heading West across the plains or somethin.

I just saw athread the other day...oh what the hell was it?? AKUMA? AKUMA helmets I think...they just came out with a AUTO-DIM sheild. you can only get it for their helmets and I think the package goes for around 550, checkaround, I forget what post it was in.
Im NOT a night rider i have both stock clear (havent used yet) and Shoei chrome/silver one for my TZR Tempest lid. no complaints during the day. They need to come out w an auto-dim visor, that would sell for sure but prob would be $$.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBR Time
They need to come out w an auto-dim visor, that would sell for sure but prob would be $$.

I just switch mine out and carry it in a tail bag but if you guys really don't want to carry one with you, you should look into some of the newer helmets on the market since last year that have the drop down visors built-in; to me that's better than auto dimming because many complain that the auto dimming ones don't get dark enough.

Attached Thumbnails  helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?-exo-1000_scorp_apollo_blue.jpg  
Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM

True, i just bought my Shoei last summer, maybe if i were looking at getting a new one id consider the HJC's Def looks like a great design concept though

Old 02-06-2009, 08:25 AM

F** it I think Im going for this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c-Helmets.aspx

Spectra shield and cary my clear visor for a night ride

Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Nice thats what i have but the spectra mirror one.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:50 AM

alright, looks crazy right?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 AM

I got my "spectra shield" yesterday and it SUCKS!!!! its nothing like whats on the website, its almost clear with a light mirror finish....its on its way back. I guess the brand matters too, cuz I know I've seen a few that look badass full mirror finish not a light finish....u all know what im talking bout. This "shoie spectra shield" gets a really bad review..... now im afraid to order the dark visor cuz I get the feel it might not be dark enough.....!!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Hmmm, not sure if i have same one your refering to? i remember when i ordered it, i wasnt sure if it was going to be "chrome" look or not? personally i like it, zero complaints
heres a few pics of my lid, incl one of me on my old F4i

Attached Thumbnails  helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?-p1030360.jpg    helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?-p1030358.jpg    helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?-cropped-helmet.jpg  

Quick Reply: helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?