CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Gear (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-gear-31/)
-   -   helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-gear-31/helmet-visor-clear-vs-smoke-dark-86010/)

scastillo13 01-15-2009 08:31 AM

helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?

Im planning on up-grading my shoei visor from clear to something darker, what dont know is if I should go with just a smoke tint or ALL black. Anyone have any recommendations or experiences? By the way, I do ride at night so thats another reason why Im curious. thanks

SpiritRR 01-15-2009 09:06 AM

RE: helmet visor, clear VS smoke/dark?

The dark smoke Shoei is not that dark, but it is too dark for night riding. If you donĀ“t want to keep changing shields, get the light smoke...although for me, even the light smoke requires sunglasses during the day... :(

scastillo13 01-15-2009 09:23 AM

damn, its a double edge sword!![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]:(:(:(:(

supersnake83 01-15-2009 04:07 PM

+1 for what SpiritRR said. I too have a light smoke and it is not that bad if you ride until night and didn`t have a chance to change your shield. I also have an astigmatism in both of my eyes and will be getting a dark smoke for those bright sunny cloudless days.

I think it is best to either change your shield if you can for when riding at night or using the light smoke for times when having the extra shied will be too much and you will ride into the night.

JeremyGSU 01-15-2009 08:02 PM

I have both a clear visor and a dark smoke. I switch depending on what time of day I plan on riding. If I know it's going to get dark later then I'll carry my clear visor with me.

bimmerx2 01-16-2009 12:22 AM

+1 on the dark being too dark for night - once the sun hit's the horizon you'll be wanting that thing off. Ihaven'ttried thelight smoke.

I use my GS for the longer rides that would have a lot of daytime and then night riding so I just carry the clear shield in the topcase and switch it out, only takes about 2 minutes counting the time to pullover and then get going again. I haven't had the CBR long enough to figure out a method for carrying the spare visor.

scastillo13 01-16-2009 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: bimmerx2
"....I haven't had the CBR long enough to figure out a method for carrying the spare visor...."
thanks for the advice everybody and I too am just not sure of where n how to carry a spare, actually adding luggage to my bike is what i've been avoiding. I have the stock clear, so if I purchase the dark visor then I'll just have to figure a way to carry it without it getting in the way... thanks again

bimmerx2 01-16-2009 04:10 PM

I can relate to the avoiding luggage part. My GS is freaking jeep of a bike sopanniers actually look like they belong on that thing but the CBR isn't exactly a touring bike and I don't want to honk up the looks with bags, not matter how sharp they are.

Were someclever typeto come up with a neat little gizmo that would allow you to store a spare visor right up behind the windscreenI imaginethey could sell a zillion of em. Assuming of course the price was right.

user 3037347 01-16-2009 04:15 PM

You could just keep the clear and wear sunglasses underneath if luggage and swapping visors is too much of an issue for you. Other than that there really isn't much else you can do.

scastillo13 01-16-2009 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: bimmerx2

"...Were someclever typeto come up with a neat little gizmo that would allow you to store a spare visor right up behind the windscreenI imaginethey could sell a zillion of em. Assuming of course the price was right...."
[sm=goodidea.gif]interesting....i'll keep that in mind, while I do a few mods to my bike....but good idea bimmerx2