Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

helmet problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: helmet problems

ORIGINAL: kobester

just got back from a rather destressing ride. Trying to find a position that might work to cut that down with no avail was in a full tuck with air coming in from the bottom at 65!!! Also i noticed that when im going at a higher speed say 80 or so the bottom of the helment starts to creap back on me just from the wind. Deciding to see just how far it would go back i went up to 100-105 on a back road and the bottom of the helmet was touching my chin. I'm thinking this might be a sizing issue but i really dunno ive had this helmet for a long time now and when i bought it i knew next to nothing about riding the dealer that i went to had me try on a med and that was just too small then i tried on the large and found that it was just a tad to big so i tried swiching med pads for the large ones and that really didnt help so i ended up getting the large. I think its time for that new helmet now any good ones that you guys know of?
I also think it sounds like your helmet is to big if it is lifting off your head at high speeds. I own a Shoei RF-1000. The only complaint I have with it is that it is loud but I don't have any thing to compare it to. For all I know it is one of the more quieter helmets out there. Oh yea, I started to wear ear plugs because of the wind rush and my Micron exhaust.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

My solution was to buy a seperate helmet for cold weather -- actually it's a snowmobile helmet. It's the same as a normal bike helmet except: double visor (no fog - slight distortion of light), chin warmy thing and a real breath deflector (not the cheap thing HJC calls a breath deflector). Mine is the g-max 38x -- forget how much it costs but it's reasonable. Only thing I don't like about it is some visibility is compromised for warmth
Dahhhh! All these years and I never thought of doing that! I thought since they were snowmobile helmets they were for snowmobiling!!! Just goes to show you're never too old to still learn something...

That helmet creeping up thing was happening to someone on another RR forum...he had the same helmet

Old 01-18-2006, 05:45 AM

ok got to talking to some friends and one suggested the Shoei RF-1000 and was just wondering what you guys think of it. Also as a small side note hjc was right it was my riding position or more to be more accurate my head position that is if i want to be staring down at the gas tank with my jacket covering the bottom.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:25 PM

I've got a KBC Moto RR, that's fogs up, I put Rain-X antifog on the shield, works fairly well. BTW I was not real happy with the KBS till i picked an MDS Storm, what a POS.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: kobester

i want to be staring down at the gas tank
Ummm....noooo....you want to be looking at the road...especially at high speeds [&:]

Old 01-19-2006, 06:07 AM

yeah i know i was just saying thats the only way to cut down on the air coming in from the bottom. anyway any ideas on a good helmet?

Old 02-05-2006, 12:15 AM

Stephygee , I have the same problems with the dame helmet, I think that are sh.....

Is not your head ! Is the helmet !

Cheers

Jorge

Old 02-05-2006, 02:16 PM

My Aria Signet GTR works great, no fog, no lift, low noise at any speed.....It has a pulldown chin curtain built in to the chin piece so you can leave it up or pull it down....Down position with cold weather and no frosty lips or eyeballs yet...ive ridden to work in the low/mid 20's.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:44 PM

how much did that arai signet gtr cost you wolfpack? Sounds like i might have to take a look at it.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 PM

MSRP at the local shop was +/- $575.....They sold it for $470...its the best fitting helmet ive ever worn and i had a Shoie RF1000 also. There is no comparison between the interior lining feel between the 2. Problem is i think aria has discontinued the signet model and replaced it with a different model called the "Profile"....Same head-shape fit though and probably the same helmet, i havent read the writeup yet....Check them out at the link...

http://www.araiamericas.com/Product_Tour.html