Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Great Caption

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Caption

I am sure that some if not most of you have already seen the new issue of Sport Rider. If you look at the inside of the back cover it has a great caption. I see far too many people dressed like this everyday in my commutes. Idiots wearing little to no gear at all. The caption says, "We know its tempting to leave the gear at home on a hot day, but here's why you shouldn't." It shows a picture of a guy and girl on a Daytona 955. The girl (passenger) is wearing what I think is a called a halter top, shorts, flip flops, gloves and a helmet. The guy (operator) is wearing jeans, t-shirt, tennis shoes, gloves and a helmet. The two are in a corner and in the middle of a low side. Ladies and gentleman I can not stress to you enough to wear you gear whenever you get on your bikes. I had an accident not to long ago while getting ready to turn left to go into my apartments. I was wearing full gear and came out without any injuries or major abrasions. I had a bruised knee and a strained scapula. Because of my gear I was untouched basically. My gear has all kinds of abrasions on it as well as my helmet and the carbon fiber on the knuckles of my a* gloves were rashed but all of that right in front of my house saved me from any damage. A lot of people have the mentality of I am not in the twisties so I do not need to wear my gear to commute or for in town riding. Another thing I hear is it is over kill to wear gear on city streets. If you have this mind set then you do not belong on a motorcycle because you obviously do not have the maturity to do so. All I am saying people is protect yourself and your passengers.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:24 PM
VP
Default RE: Great Caption

I saw that caption too... I think the girl already had a broken finger or something because it looks like her pink is taped to her ring finger on the hand she's holding up but I could be mistaken... as far as wearing gear goes...

I crashed tested my gear this weekend, and I probably wouldn't be typing this if I didn't have my gear on. I was wearing a helmet, joe rocket jacket. I hit the ground going about 40 on my left shoulder and its pretty bruised up, but my jacket doesn't even have a rip in it. My helmet is scratched up, but otherwise completely fine. I have no injuries except for my right hand which got dragged on the ground under my body, and a bruised shoulder from where I hit the ground first. I would've been wearing gloves but I've got big hands so they were too hard to find. I'm never riding again without full gear on. I recommend it to you all as well, and keep in mind your passengers are your responsibility. You'd want them to buckle up in a car wouldn't you? Why would you let them wear shorts and a tank top on a bike?

Old 09-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for proper riding gear.

Myself have not gone down, no stories from me "yet".
Thanks to all of you who share stories like this, I ride with my all my gear no matter what.

Ride safe!!

Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 AM

im bad when i come to gear, i only wear my helmet, jaket and gloves. i wear jeans an sneaker but i plan on buying some riding pants and a set of boots in the spring. i know wearing sneakers is a bad bad thing but i have trouble shifting with my work boots.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:20 PM

I see posers every week who ride with no gear, street racing, curving and stunting and just don't understand it at all... They won't wear the gear but will have thier helmet locked to thier bike...

Old 09-13-2006, 06:13 PM

I always wear my gloves, jacket, and helmet. I refuse to allow myself to get out of the habit, because as soon as I do it will no longer be second nature. For me, wearing the jacket and gloves is just as important as putting the key in the ignition.

I plan to get some leathers (pants) and boots... Right now my feet are (un)protected by newbalance. =\

Old 09-14-2006, 06:03 PM
VP

sneakers aren't all that bad... a lot of pro's argue that a more comfortable shoe when you're shifting can be safer than a leather boot that is awkward to ride with... think about it! and as far as jeans go...Alpinestar makes some jeans with pads which actually look like normal pants... invest in these if its about fashion

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/alpin...painter-pants/

100 bucks is worth being able to sit down for the rest of your live comfortably.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 PM

I just ordered These gloves (In yellow) & This 2 piece.

I'll let you guys know how they are. Still looking for a decent boot. It's tough to find yellow stuff, I may go with white.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:38 AM

Glad to see that you picked up some gear. You ay also want to think about getting some black boots since how there is some black in your suit. i am not to familia with the brands that you purchased but at least you are covered and protected. Good job my friend.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paul Square

I just ordered These gloves (In yellow) & This 2 piece.

I'll let you guys know how they are. Still looking for a decent boot. It's tough to find yellow stuff, I may go with white.
Review?