Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Gear question and ATGATT

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear question and ATGATT

If there's any ATGATT riders here I have a question. Do you guys only go weekend riding and only ride for fun? How do ATGATT riders dip down to the cafe down the street or go to the gym/school/post office etc. I usually wear my mesh jacket and armored jeans around town, and a full leather suit and heavy duty spine guard for hard/long rides but not always. On the way to the GYM or my favorite cafe I don't go much faster than I would on a bicycle, and on a bicycle I would only have a small helmet so i may just wear jeans, casual boots and a t-shirt. My full face helmet is non-negotiable for me, but other things I choose based on the ride.

So do you ATGATT riders just not commute or use your bike like you would a car? How many members here adhere to ATGATT?

Toktogi is on

Old 06-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If I'm on the bike, I'm in gear. The 2 piece setup is more versatile than a 1 piece suit for everyday riding to a destination. If my gear is not acceptable to wear when I get there, I either bring clothes or take the car. Riding out of gear is not an option when riding around cars and road hazards.

That being said, I have clothes I wear at work that stay at work. Makes it easy.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
If I'm on the bike, I'm in gear. The 2 piece setup is more versatile than a 1 piece suit for everyday riding to a destination. If my gear is not acceptable to wear when I get there, I either bring clothes or take the car. Riding out of gear is not an option when riding around cars and road hazards.

That being said, I have clothes I wear at work that stay at work. Makes it easy.
What about just hopping down to the cafe 5 minutes away or going to class?
When I do that I'm going the same speed as a bicycle and I wouldn't wear a leather suit on a bicycle. Do you not commute to places like that?

Toktogi is on

Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by theadamie
What about just hopping down to the cafe 5 minutes away or going to class?
When I do that I'm going the same speed as a bicycle and I wouldn't wear a leather suit on a bicycle. Do you not commute to places like that?

Toktogi is on
Not really. I generally don't fire the bike up just to go down the street. I can see not spending 10 minutes gearing up for a 5 minute ride to the market. I used to ride local without full gear, then my buddy was hit head on and killed going 30mph, less than a mile from the house by a careless driver. Anything can happen anywhere at anytime.

Besides, shifters ruin shoes and boots are goofy with shorts!

Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Boots are goofy with shorts? Aw man, now I have to rethink my whole sense of fashion.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATGATT can be a pain, but consider that consequences. If you need to make the short run, take the car, the bicycle, or walk. The only exception to ATGATT that I make is to forego my leather pants if I'm only traveling on low speed surface streets, it's a calculated risk. Like Demon, I keep clothes/shoes at work. Riding a motorcycle has an elevated risk to begin with, why make it worse by not wearing gear?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Thought this thread would be quite appropriate for this video.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:21 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's not worth gearing up for a trip. I'll do it in the car, though most of my riding is recreational.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theadamie
So do you ATGATT riders just not commute or use your bike like you would a car? How many members here adhere to ATGATT?
The only motorcycle specific gear I own is a helmet, an armored textile jacket and a pair of shortie leather gloves. I usually wear all that when I go for a ride. Thus, when I get to where I'm going, whether it is at work, a friend's house, etc., it is not too hard to switch to my regular clothing underneath.

I will say that the ATGATT concept is a good one but practiced a by a very, very small number of riders. I do a lot of road bicycling, probably putting in more miles per year than on my CBR. I spend close to 3 hours RT on my ride to work. During the summer months I see hundreds of motorcycles per week on the roads. Out of all that I might see one, maybe two riders throughout the week who are wearing any motorcycle gear other than their helmet and a lot of that is probably because I live in a helmet law state. Lots of T-shirt and shorts clad riders around here.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Whilst I practice ATGATT religiously at home, I have been known to 'take it easy' on the three wheeled Rasputin the Ural. That is ONLY because it is damn near impossible to tip over with its lack of horsepower and sturdy three wheeled stance.

I would NEVER be without my gear on a two wheeled motorcycle.

The video above clearly shows why.

We are forever patching up barely dressed late teen/early 20 squids who have fallen off their scooters when they have grabbed a handful of front brake on the gravel.

ATGATT - the road riders safety mantra!

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: Gear question and ATGATT