Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Gear question and ATGATT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I commute to work by bike daily, for that I ATG as I use high speed roads and ride like a bit a knobber.

However, for nipping to the shops, it's too hot, too time consuming and I'll be riding at speeds that I could achieve on an enthusiastic cycle ride so I wear a helmet and gloves, occasionally a jacket. Yes you can be killed at low speed, but that wont be from gravel rash and being hot and dehydrated hardly aids concentration.

Also, shaven legged Tour de France riders can hit 70+ mph wearing lycra. What is life without a little risk eh?

Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to be less strict about it, like just throwing the lid on for a quick spin at the gas station or getting a can of milk from the store, but it has become as much of a habit than the seatbelt in my car, I feel totally naked and unsure without it, even to the point that it alone could cause me to get into a collission. I could go to the next intersection after a carb clean to see that the bike answers the throttle like it should but no further. I too commute a lot on my bike, and always have my hi-vis pants and my work boots in my tank bag with me, or waiting in the truck. I don`t mind sitting in the cafe in the riding pants, at least no one wonders the cowlick-coiffure. The jacket can be a pain on the shoulders in the grocery store but then I just throw it in the cart, you can`t transport a weeks worth of foodstuffs on a bike anyway so I`ll probly just be grabbing an 8-pack for the weekend and going back with the car the next day.

So I`d say I 99% ATGATT, with very few exceptions. Anything longer than the store 300m away, always. Been in too many close calls to play with fate.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATGATT for sure with me.

It just varies based on the riding level I do

I never ride anywhere outside of a parking lot with less than:
DOT and Snell approved Helmet
Leather jacket
Full leather gloves
Full leather ankle boots
Armored jeans

After that, it becomes risk/reward, to add on:
Armor vest
Shin/knee guards
Leather pants

When commuting, hanging out, or running errands:
Gloves fit easily into a small backpack
Helmet can come with me, or stay locked on the bike, depending on circumstance
Boots and pants are comfortable enough to spend all day in
The jacket is the only real cumbersome piece of gear. And if carrying it all day is that big of an issue, I just bring a bigger backpack, or even locking saddle bags, and put my jacket in there.