Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Default Bionic 2 Protector Jacket + Leather Jacket ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Default Bionic 2 Protector Jacket + Leather Jacket ???

Hello all,

Pretty new to riding as I'm just starting to learn.

Once I start riding more often I'd definitely like to have some better protection.

I'm currently looking at a Bionic 2 Protector jacket and a leather perforated jacket to go over.

I would definitely prefer a perforated leather jacket with the chest,back, shoulders etc built in but no such luck finding one.

Is what I'm going for a good alternative or does there exist a perforated jacket with all the protection.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 AM

That is definitely a very safe route to go, but might be a bit expensive and bulky. There are jackets out there that offer shoulder, elbow, chest and back protection. Actually, nearly all of the current Alpinestars jackets have protectors in all of those locations with the option to upgrade the chest and back pads to CE certified protectors. The Alpinestars GP-R, Indy, and SP-1 jackets are fully perforated with the previously mentioned padding.

GP-R- GP-R Perforated Leather Jacket - Alpinestars Official Store
Indy- Indy Leather Jacket - Alpinestars Official Store
SP-1- SP-1 Jacket - Alpinestars Official Store

Looks like the Teknic Violator also has the option to upgrade to CE chest and back protectors as well (comes with CE shoulder and elbow and is fully perforated)- Teknic 2011 - Violator Jacket

I'm sure other brands like Dainese offer similar products, but I'm not sure of exact models. Let us know what you end up getting .

Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Wow thanks a lot. I was definitely worried about it being bulky. I'll look into these jackets thanks!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 AM
MZ5

Another option that already _has_ the CE-certified protectors at all positions (including chest), though the outer garment is not leather, is the Spidi Multitech:
MULTITECH ARMOR TEX JACKET

If you don't mind having armor that's not built in to the jacket, then you could purchase something like Spidi's Defender armor:
DEFENDER ARMOR 170/180

Alpinestars markets something very similar, though I can't recall its name just now, and Komodo has something very similar as well, for a lower price.

Finally, you could buy a Forcefield armored shirt, one of their Pro Sub-4 back protectors (best in the business, bar none), and the jacket of your choice. That'd give you the very best armor available, and since the armor is on your body instead of in the jacket it'll stay put best, but this combo will be the most expensive route I know of to take.

Western Power Sports is the American distributor for Spidi, so if you have a local dealer that will discount from list price on their stuff, that's the way to get Spidi. Some mail-order houses also carry Spidi, but nobody discounts it. Lots of folks carry Alpinestars, of course, and Forcefield products are distributed by Johnson Leather in the USA. Revzilla carries Forcefield if you prefer an alternate source.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM

I definitely like that Multitech Jacket for those hot days and the price isn't too bad. I think I may go that route especially for the price. Then I can just buy a larger leather jacket for the colder days and throw it on top.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 PM

I just got the Alpinestars Bionic 2 jacket on Friday. I wore it under my Tourmaster intake 2 jacket for about a 3 hour ride this weekend. I removed the back protector prior to riding as well as my intake jackets armor. I have to say, it is bulky. But the protection is great and I felt better about it than with just my jacket armor. My Intake jacket is 2xl and the bionic was a XL and I'm 6'1 about 190lbs and it fits fine so far. Honestly the intake jacket I made the mistake of buying too big ( xxl instead of xl ) when I got it a couple of months ago. Though now I dont know if the bionic jacket would of been able to fit under it if I hadnt done it that way. I too am thinking about getting a leather jacket as well. I will probably get a unarmored one and wear the bionic under it.