Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

backpacks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

backpacks work well for me for up to an hour long ride and like Regen' I use the SwissGear one , ton of pockets an easy to attach an easy pass to.

After that I use a Givi on longer hauls and keeps tools, tire kit, inflator rain gear,
boots etc in it

Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YankeeBravo
I have a backpack, I strap it to the seat with a cargo net...
I do the same thing, I hate having the back pack strapped on, so I strap my back pack under the cargo net for long rides.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, the Icon tankbag looks pretty sweet. I have both a backpack (non riding specific, it does have strap to keep the shoulder straps together) and a tankbag.
I didn't use the tankbag for ages (not at all during the winter) but have been doing so lately. It's a medium sized bag that you can zip an extra compartment to. This stays pretty small until you zip it open giving it twice the storage space.
I can fit a crap load of stuff in there. I used to wear my backpack all the time because I can fit a bunch in it and I hang my helmet off of the right strap so I don't have to carry it.

The thing is that if it's hot I don't like having it on my back. My jacket doesn't ventilate well enough. I am also commuting with a passenger now and it's not practical to have a backpack on (I sometimes turn it around but that only works well when it's empty). so I've been using the tankbag. I like it but It doesn't have any straps to be able to wear it as a backpack so I have to carry it along with the helmet.

Are there any other tankbags out there that have straps and a helmet carrying thing? Haven't seen the Icon one where I live yet.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 AM

I was given an Axio Swift just like the one below except with a carbon fiber finish, by a friend of mine who had one and sold his bike ... I use it to carry my laptop/charger, a book or two, my external charger, and my cell/wallet/paperwork for my bike in a ziplock bag ... It fits very well and hugs my back due to its shape and construction ..

I also use a military issue backpack like the black one below for longer distance road trips on the bike or when I travel in a group .... or if i go to stay somewhere for a short period of time ... This has MANY assorted sized pockets for storing LOTS of different stuff (Translation: it's a freaking AWESOME traveling backpack) ... I carry a full metric toolset for a bike (all the special tools they give you in the bikes toolset), a tire repair kit, earplugs, sunglasses, a spare chain w/ master link, a knife, a Gerber multitool, my cell/wallet/bike paperwork/Ipod in separate smaller pockets w/ ziplock bags that stay with the backpack, tire pressure gauge, CO2 inflation kit, Chain lube, plexus, and a rag .... I think that's about it .... as far as the important stuff goes ...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the mil style as well. The style that 9-5=4rr references are available from many sources. Google "CBD2911" & you'll see many outlets.

LA Police Gear carries many different styles like the above, Maxpedition, 5.11, Blackhawk, etc. Their prices are very competitive.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

I don't wear a backpack because if I go down, the backpack is strapped to me. I use a tank bag and ventura sport pack.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by vfrman
I don't wear a backpack because if I go down, the backpack is strapped to me. I use a tank bag and ventura sport pack.
I went down about 2 and a half months ago on the interstate with my backpack on .... it actually prevented alot of damage from getting to me ... when you think about it, it's just another layer between you and the worlds biggest cheesegrater !! .... I don't see a downside in it .... unless you're talkin about goin on a track or something lol

Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 PM

I use a standard issue assault pack 2. my buddy in the army picked up for me. works great tons of different compartments and big!!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 PM

ive a lil nike backpack for everyday use but if goin for longer spins/stayin overnite i use a bigger backpack and strap it too the rear seat with a cargo net

Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Kriega makes some nice stuff, kind of expensive though.

Kriega - Welcome

Quick Reply: backpacks?