Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

backpacks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Icon Urban Tank bag is also a backpack that can carry your helmet...

Ride Icon - URBAN TANK BAG

I have one of these & use it often. It carries a lot.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow how big is that tank bag on your tank? I have a small manta style tank bag and a medium sized tank bag and the medium size one feels too large.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
The Icon Urban Tank bag is also a backpack that can carry your helmet...

Ride Icon - URBAN TANK BAG

I have one of these & use it often. It carries a lot.
I have the exact same bag. It fills up pretty large if you stuff it with stuff, but if its only partially full it can stay pretty small. I never used it to hold my helmet, but I have had a gallon of milk, bread, rolls, eggs, meat and cheese in it. Very useful for fitting stuff, and combined with a backpack its pratically a truck haha

Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 AM

That's too big of a bag for me haha, I understand if you're going on long hauls to have a need to fit a lot in a backpack. I just use my old regular backpack from school to fit like a water bottle, wallet and cell. No problems yet.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM

do bikes have any storage compartments at all?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Your modern sport bike MAY have storage under the passenger seat or main seat. Otherwise, no not really. Some bikes like the VFR's can have hardcases attached to them for storage. Most touring bikes also come with storage as well.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieboy42
I have the exact same bag. It fills up pretty large if you stuff it with stuff, but if its only partially full it can stay pretty small. I never used it to hold my helmet, but I have had a gallon of milk, bread, rolls, eggs, meat and cheese in it. Very useful for fitting stuff, and combined with a backpack its pratically a truck haha
Ha! I can carry a whole boxed pie from my favorite bakery w/ this thing...& there's room to boot!

While its not what I'd call 'hard-use' or milspec, it is more than sufficient for its intended purpose(s).

Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 PM

You don't really NEED the chest straps....Any backpack I've ever used is incredibly tight when you pull the straps all the way

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Honda125 358
You don't really NEED the chest straps....Any backpack I've ever used is incredibly tight when you pull the straps all the way
Agreed, I dug out an old backpack from my parents house specifically because it had the chest strap. I found out that it really doesn't make much of a difference, so I ditched it for another pack that has a larger capacity.

I will say that for all the packs I have used, I cut down the adjustment straps and burn the ends so that they don't flap around in the wind when I'm riding.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM

I've got an Ogio no drag that I use for going to work/school every day, and also for road trips.

For school, it fits a laptop, 2 full size textbooks, a water bottle, my charger, and a bunch of assorted crap like a tire pressure gauge and some ramen.

For road trips it's just big enough to put 2 changes of clothing and a water bottle/snack in if you roll stuff up really tightly.

The cheapest I can find now is almost 100$, which is pretty silly. I think I waited around and found mine on sale for 70$, then used a 25% off coupon, then got free shipping. At 50$ I'd say it was a good buy, at 100$ I'm not convinced.

I'd argue that it's not going to make much of a difference around town, but the peace of mind knowing my crap can't fall out is nice. Plus, the straps and back are really well padded, so even when you load it up it's comfortable to wear for long rides.

Quick Reply: backpacks?