Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Scorpion Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the dark shield is in the down position, it doesn't go all the way down to not show a seam. I tried on the helmet with the Scorpion rep who forewarned me about it. She said it is typically a distraction for track riders but perfectly fine for street riding...such a shame for such a nice helmet.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, yes; I'll give you that. It does get odd when using that lower peripheral vision, but like she said, you ignore it pretty quickly on the street.

I ride at night mainly, so I can't attest for their usefulness beyond dusk.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 PM

Last year I bought an EXO-700 (size L). The only complaint I have against it is the fact that the "DOT" sticker is fraying from wind whipping past it. So I have the top 2/3 of the sticker with a frayed bottom 1/3.

I needed another helmet so I decided to go with an EXO-1000 (size L) for the added benefit of the inner visor. I'm not a big fan of having to carry extra shields with me so I figured this would be the way to go. I received the helmet yesterday and just like my 700 the quality looked good. Went to put the helmet on and WTF!?!, this is tight as hell. The helmet shell is slightly bigger on the 1000 than the 700, but with the cheek air bladders the space to push your head through is smaller (and yes, it was deflated). It fits just like my 700 once my head is inside, but damn it's a bitch putting on and taking off. It feels like I'm going to rip my ears off. The other gripe I have against it is the "locking mechanism" on the shield. Mine locks and unlocks but will not hold the visor slightly open as intended. I'm not worried about it because I didn't even know about that feature when I ordered it, so no big loss. The transition between the dark shield and the normal shield did not bother me much. But, I've worn glasses for years so I'm used to having "cut-off" lines in my vision. The 1000 definitely is a quieter helmet than the 700. All in all I'm happy with my purchases.

EXO-700 I would score as a 9.5/10 with price, fit, form, and function as factors.
EXO-1000 I would score as a 8.5/10 with those same considerations.

I'll post up again later once the 1000 is broken in to give some more thoughts.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 PM

I have a Scorpion EXO 700 Silver/Red Predator it never fogs it's very comfortable.
I bought a large and i am thinking about getting thicker cheek pads but it still is a
great helmet for the money and i love the paint scheme it matches my Silver/Red
CBR 600 F4i. I paid 210.00 for mine and i got my girl a womens exo 700 Black/Red
black Dahlia helmet for 200.00 all my gear is Scorpion and Icon

Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 PM

To my knowledge, Scorpion doesn't make sized cheekpads. Do yourself a favor and get a proper fitting helmet. Your brain will thank you for it.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by terror rising
Last year I bought an EXO-700 (size L). The only complaint I have against it is the fact that the "DOT" sticker is fraying from wind whipping past it. So I have the top 2/3 of the sticker with a frayed bottom 1/3.

I needed another helmet so I decided to go with an EXO-1000 (size L) for the added benefit of the inner visor. I'm not a big fan of having to carry extra shields with me so I figured this would be the way to go. I received the helmet yesterday and just like my 700 the quality looked good. Went to put the helmet on and WTF!?!, this is tight as hell. The helmet shell is slightly bigger on the 1000 than the 700, but with the cheek air bladders the space to push your head through is smaller (and yes, it was deflated). It fits just like my 700 once my head is inside, but damn it's a bitch putting on and taking off. It feels like I'm going to rip my ears off. The other gripe I have against it is the "locking mechanism" on the shield. Mine locks and unlocks but will not hold the visor slightly open as intended. I'm not worried about it because I didn't even know about that feature when I ordered it, so no big loss. The transition between the dark shield and the normal shield did not bother me much. But, I've worn glasses for years so I'm used to having "cut-off" lines in my vision. The 1000 definitely is a quieter helmet than the 700. All in all I'm happy with my purchases.

EXO-700 I would score as a 9.5/10 with price, fit, form, and function as factors.
EXO-1000 I would score as a 8.5/10 with those same considerations.

I'll post up again later once the 1000 is broken in to give some more thoughts.
Update after two months of use on the EXO-1000.

More Pros
- WAAAAAY more quiet than the 700 series. Now that I'm used to the 1000 I can't even wear the 700 without going deaf.
- The mechanism that holds the visor slightly open works now.

More Cons
- Haven't used the air bladder system yet, as it fits perfect without it.
- Look ridiculous with the tinted inner visor down, but it's still there in a pinch.
- Can't hang the helmet on the rear set because the air pump is right there and gets torn up (purely cosmetic) when placed there.

So basically I bought a quieter helmet with some extra features I never use. Still happy for the price, but it's annoying squeezing my head in and out of the helmet.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:46 PM

I wear an EXO-700 and my trusty earplugs.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM

thanks for the concern jaybird but scorpion does in fact make different sized cheek pads
they range from 15-30mm and they are available at newenough.com or any scorpion dealer. my helmet fits fine it's a large but it's a bit heavy i might go with a medium with small cheek pads or i might just get the exo 1000 with inflatable cheek pads.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 AM

the 1000 is the heaviest of them all. i was about to buy a 700 when I started trying on other helmets. ended up with an RF-1000.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 AM

I've got a 1000 and while yes, its the heaviest, it's still light as hell. My problem with them:

I took a fall and landed on my hip and shoulder, then bounced my head off the asphalt. I felt absolutly nothing, and it didn't actually register that I hit my head at all until the shock wore off and I thought about it. The helmet had some paint chips where it tapped, and the clips for the padding on that side had become frayed. I sent the thing out to be inspected, like you're spposed to do. They sent it back certifying it to still be 100% safe (which is cool ), but didn't fix the clips. They didn't even offer to fix them for a fee, they just sent it back like all was well.

Quick Reply: Scorpion Helmets