Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Scorpion Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would defiately buy another. People are always asking me about it too, not many seen around here.

coupons

Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 AM

I have the EXO 700 and i really like it. The only thing that i noticed that i wished it had was something to lock the shield down. I was riding yesterday and the wind caught it just right and my shield went flying open.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 3 years and many times over triple digits I've NEVER had this happen. Was your shield fully down?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this happen once, just about a week ago on the highway. Scared the ever-living hell out of me... A locking mechanism sounds great to me...

Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Yes the shield was all the way down. I was going about 80 but it was windy as hell out that day, maybe it was just the wind catching it in the wrong spot at the worng time. Hasnt happened again since then.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 AM

I've been able to put my head in just about any attitude, no problems. There is a little adjustment on the shield mechanism on the side. They give you 2 extra nylon screws when you purchase because they may wear and give a little play. Adjust your shield to flat surface by running your finger over the seam.

Q: Do you have a lot of breeze from the chin area? I used to wear a chin guard and it helps a little. If you have a lot of chin breeze, perhaps it was a positive pressure issue...maybe I should dig up my Scorpion rep's number and ask about this...

Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by UMDMatt
I have the EXO 700 and i really like it. The only thing that i noticed that i wished it had was something to lock the shield down. I was riding yesterday and the wind caught it just right and my shield went flying open.

The EXO-1000 has this lock, though I've also never heard of this problem. Did you have the visor cracked open? I don't know about the 700, but the 1000 has little notches in the hinges to hold the visor in place, and also springs. Perhaps yours are worn?

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-16-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

I've got an EXO-1000 and its just plain awesome. It's light as hell, and incredibly comfortable over long periods of time, even with the pads inflated. Stays COOL if you leave the vents open, even in this humid 80-degree Chicago weather. Seriously, I've never gotten this helmet all sweaty, even after a whole day of riding.

It's got a neat "defogger" system that takes in air from the "mouth" vent, and blows it stright up across the inside of the visor (you can see the little vents in the picture). Works really well. It also lets you crack open the visor about 1cm for faster defogging or a nice cool breeze on the face while still maintaining eye safety. There's also a visor lock to prevent it from flying open at high speeds.

Best part (for me): I took a hit with it. Clutch slipped on a turn, and the rear wheel spun out. I low-sided, but was going under 5mph, so I didn't really slide. Just landed on my hip and shoulder, which caused my head to bounce off the asphalt. I sent the helmet off to Scorpion, and they said the shock absorbtion is totally fine, and they recertified it as safe to use. It actually took a legitimate hit, and was still fine (Don't try this at home, kids)!

I love this helmet, and while I'm no connoisseur, I do get a lot of the "bike guys" at gatherings and stuff who want to look at it and think everything about it is really cool. If you get one of the plain ones (no graphics), you can ****** it up for about $300, which is a nice price for such an amazing helmet.

PS: The Kanji decals are not stock, I put those there.

Attached Thumbnails  Scorpion Helmets-s6002459.jpg  

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-17-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:10 AM

I'd consider the EXO-1000 too but I didn't care much for where the inner dark shield cuts across my view. It was a deal breaker for me. If they do something about that, I'd buy one...an EXO-1300 I guess (LOL).

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
I'd consider the EXO-1000 too but I didn't care much for where the inner dark shield cuts across my view.
. . .I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you referring to the built-in tinted lenses? Those lift up into the housing. When they're fully up, they're not in your field of vision at all, as they raise higher than the top of the visor. Either you didn't have them raised fully, or you had some busted-up display model you were trying out.

Quick Reply: Scorpion Helmets