Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Nelson Rigg CL-700 & CL-750 Tailbags

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson Rigg CL-700 & CL-750 Tailbags

Hey folks. I was able to get my hands on both bags and have the below review. If you would like to see images of them installed on the bike follow the link at the end of the post for the full write-up. Overall, both great bags in their own right.

For simplicities sake, I am going to refer to the CL-750 as the "non-expandable model" and the CL-700 as the "expandable model." It makes it a lot easier when comparing the two bags.
I have become a fan of both bags for sportbikes as they have a nice, slender profile and easily mount to the bike and remove quickly. I can see myself using either bag for quick trips to the grocery store or heading away on a week long trip.

Mounting
The mounting system on both bags is very similar to Nelson Rigg's other bags on the market. You have four bungee hooks, an underside buckle (picture right), and four additional buckles used for the Nelson Rigg saddlebags. There is a slight difference in buckles used between both models. The buckle on the expandable model is much more generous and gives a longer length to buckle underneith. I was able to easily buckle with the expandable model and move on. The base model did not allow me to buckle and I was solely reliant on the bungee hooks (which caused no issues). When it comes to traveling, I like to just have that extra step of protection. I will note, I did not have any issues with either setup. The bungee hooks allow you to hold the bag with no issues. Another great feature is a small sleeve on the back of both bags that allows for you to slide them over a skinny sissy bar on a cruiser. The last nice feature, that I am throwing into the mounting section, is the material used on the base of the bag to resist slipping. You receive no damage to the paint or seat but it provides great friction to hold the bag still.

Standard Features
With both bags you receive the shoulder strap and a nice rain cover. The material of both bags is UV-treated Tri-Max® Ballistic Nylon. Both bags also have a reflective piping that provides a little extra visibility at night. The zippers on the bags are great. Nice, large zippers with very strong teeth. Overall, I really like the materials and design of both bags. They are made to last trip after trip.

CL-750 (Non-Expandable)
The CL-750, in my opinion, is the skinny cousin to the CL-700. This bag has a nice main compartment that is 10.5" (L) x 11" (W) x 9" (H) and has a total capacity of 17.04L. This is a great bag for running around town or even a weekend trip. You have a good amount of space and it does not restrict you ability to ride the bike. I would see this bag complimenting a tank bag and/or a backpack if you are planning on taking a 1+ week long trip.

The bike held up well on the road under city, country, and highway riding. I didn't have any issues with the bag sliding into my back our causing any issues with me in control of the bike.

I would recommend this bag to the weekend adventurer or person looking to get a nice tailbag for carrying items from the grocery store or to-and-from work.

CL-700 (Expandable)
The first thing I have to say with this bag is HOLY SPACE! This bag has a meek appearance before you expand every slot. You get a generous 10.5" (L) x 9.5" (W) x 11" (H) in the bag and it expands to 18.5" tall when unzipped -- Yes it gains an additional 7.5" of space! This equates to 17.98L and 30.24L respectively.
As I stated above, this bag allowed me to easily buckle below the tail and quickly hook the bungees. The profile of the bag did not restrict me while riding. The mounting system held up great on city, country, and highway roads.

The real story of this bag is the storage. I had to pick my jaw up off of the ground when I realized how tall the bag became when I expanded the main compartment. On top of that, you can expand the exterior compartments. This bag went from a great weekend bag to a trip bag in the matter of 4 zippers. You are able to tuck away clothes, bathroom supplies, tools for the road, and souvenirs that you pickup while you travel.
The bottom line with both bags is they are great in their respective ways. If you are looking for a medium sized bag with the ability to load up some items check out the CL-750. If you want a bag that can fit half of your life's posessions then checkout the CL-700. I can see myself picking up one of each in the near future as some storage options!

At the time of writing this, these items are on closeout through MotorcycleGear.com. The CL-700 retailing for $66.99 and the CL-750 retailing for $49.99.

Last edited by Sprock; 04-21-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: linkback