Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

DVD Review: An Introduction to Sportbike Suspension by Dave Moss of Catalyst Tuning

Old 04-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DVD Review: An Introduction to Sportbike Suspension by Dave Moss of Catalyst Tuning

DVD Review:[/b]
An Introduction to Sportbike Suspension by Dave Moss of Catalyst Tuning

I received the DVD from an eBay purchase and I was impressed when I received it, the cover was well done and professional. I opened the box to find a two disc set! I eagerly popped it in the PC at work just to sneak a peak. My co-workers heard the music and turned around to find out what I was watching. The joking began. Why: the music sounds a like a **** tape, but in my excitement I didn’t notice and frankly didn’t care.

The disc is organized into a logical sequence which makes sense after viewing. First there’s a classroom lecture, then a short series of clips, and then information about reading tires. On the second disc, 4 subject bikes from a trackday are used and he walks the viewer through the process of tuning the suspension using the methods discussed in the DVD.

From the first 15 minutes of the classroom lecture, I didn’t feel that this was appropriately titled, ‘Introduction’. The classroom lecture was taped for an audience of technicians; too much for the layperson who doesn’t know much about suspension systems. I think the DVD needed a section on the basics, like vocabulary, discussions on basic geometry, the effects of suspension and basic theory on how they work. It needed an introduction for the Introduction.

After viewing the full disc, I thought that I didn’t like it. But after a day or so, I found myself watching the disc at bedtime and picking up a lot of knowledge about tires, suspension, geometry, problem solving and even riding tips.

There were a few annoyances though. The editing could have been better, there were a few grammatical errors in the subtitling and the jokes were really corny. Also there were a few instances where Moss is pointing something out to the camera and the camera guy didn’t zoom in to see what he’s pointing to.

Overall, this was a very good set and I am proud to own it. The information is current enough that the subject bike for the classroom session was a Daytona 675.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DVD Review: An Introduction to Sportbike Suspension by Dave Moss of Catalyst Tuning

thanks for the review and can you buy it anywhere else but ebay?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Default RE: DVD Review: An Introduction to Sportbike Suspension by Dave Moss of Catalyst Tuning

I'm sure you can, but since I'm not gettingcommission fora promo for the DVD.....
Sorry[&o]

Old 01-06-2008, 01:36 PM

www.onthethrottle.com

Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1, I bought that DVD last summer while I was trying to dial in my suspension with new fork springs. It really tought me alot.I would suggest it for anyone taking a serious look at suspension tuning.

although, it is not for someone that hasnt done a fair amount of research already, and knows the fundamentals and terminology of suspension