Suspension Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Tuning

I just adjusted the front and rear suspension on my 05 600RR. I used the suggested setting from the December 05 issue of Sport Rider Magazine. The article is one where they compared the best bikes from three different classes. They were the Ducati 999 the Suzuki GSXR1000 and the CBR600RR, the best V-Twin, the best liter bike and the best 600 respectfully. I was able to change the settings in about 20 minutes while on my break at work.

What an amazing difference the turn of a few valves and springs can make. I was only able to ride a total of about 15 miles on both the freeway and city streets but I can I really feel a positive change in how the bike hugs the curves. It seems to stick a lot better and feels lot easier and natural to throw around.

It was really easy and if you read the owners manual you can always go back to the original factory settings if you don't like the changes you made.

I could kick myself for not doing this earlier but then again then only article I've seen on changing the CBR600's set up was for the 03 and 04 and that was on Sport Riders web site. Clicky here if you are interested. Since this post SR has not yet posted the suggested changes for the 05. I would have posted the changes but I left the magazine at work. If you have an 05 and can’t wait then I suggest you ride to your local magazine stand and buy it.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suspension Tuning

ORIGINAL: 05Tribal

I just adjusted the front and rear suspension on my 05 600RR. I used the suggested setting from the December 05 issue of Sport Rider Magazine.
IMHO, I think too many people put too much stock in the SportRider's "suggested" settings. While they may work well for some, they won't work well for most. I won't argue that it may be better than the stock settings but it is highly likely that its still not optimal. And may lead to a false sense of security that may cause riders to ask more of their suspension than their supsension can give.

I suggest you follow the other suspension article from SportRider that shows you how to set up the suspension for YOU:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_susp/

Old 11-21-2005, 02:58 AM

+1...that was the first "mod" I did to my bike...adjusted for my riding style

so what did you set yours for?

Old 11-21-2005, 01:57 PM

I also recommend everyone read the Sport Rider article abadfish mentioned and has linked above. It will teach you the lingo and how your suspension works. It also leads you step by step on how to adjust your suspension yourself. I also take SR's "suggested settings" as SR doing the step by step work for you.

As for other 2005 CBR600RR riders who weigh around 180lbs with out gear try the DEC 05 settings, what do you have to lose? I will try to remember to bring home the info from work today and post them tonight.

I am really interested if others feel the same differences or are they just my imagination.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:27 PM

LOTS of great info....lots or reading!! Guess i better get started!!! HOPE the snow holds off here in Columbus, OH! huh Tribal!

Old 11-21-2005, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: 05Tribal

As for other 2005 CBR600RR riders who weigh around 180lbs with out gear try the DEC 05 settings, what do you have to lose?
Actually, there is a lot to lose if you ask your suspension to do more than it can (which is a very likely scenario for the street jockey who tries to push the limits in the local twisties). I weigh 180lbs with gear and the stock suspension is crap for aggressive riding on the track (and the twisties for those who dare). At that weight with the stock suspension, you won't be able to set the sag in the front (but you will with the rear). As a result, the front suspension bottoms out and the rear is very light and slides all over the place under HARD braking (just front brakes, not rear).

That is why an aftermarket suspension was one of the first mods I did.

I'm not saying SR's "suggested settings" won't be better than stock settings....but be wary of testing those limits with them in thinking you can take on the world.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: CMHGUY
HOPE the snow holds off here in Columbus, OH! huh Tribal!
I already rode home in some flurries tonight. [:'(]

Below are the settings from the December 05 issue.

Front:
Spring preload: 7 Turns out from full stiff
Rebound damping: 2 turns out from full stiff
Compression damping: 2.5 turns out from out from full stiff
Ride height: 5mm fork tube showing above triple clamp

(Be advised, in regards to the front suspension ride height being 5mm above triple clamp, which I believe is the stock settings, that measurement is considering using a Dunlop D218 Sportmax which is the same front diameter as the D208). From what I undersand if using a different front tire like a Pilot Power which is larger in diameter you would want a few more mm shock tube showing above the triple clamp.

Rear:
Spring preload: Position 6 from full soft
Rebound damping: 0.75 turns out from full stiff
Compression damping: 11 clicks out from full stiff.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

That is why an aftermarket suspension was one of the first mods I did.
What did you exactly buy and how much?

I have friends who ride really really good and aggressive with stock suspensions. I believe if you slowly build your skill level you can learn enough about the bike and learn feel it's limits whether it has OEM or a pro Ohlins suspension.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:51 PM

+1 This is good I havent really thought about setting up my suspension

Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 PM

does ant body know the specs for tuning certain pounds of wieght on the 600rr?

Quick Reply: Suspension Tuning