Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Boots

Old 02-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Default Boots

Im looking at getting new riding shoes. I am not a fan of the tall calf high boots. I was wanting to get the high top shoe looking riding shoes. Are they as protective? I had an accident a while back and want them to protect my ankle. I am looking at Alpinestar since I need wide. Any input?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:27 PM

I ride with joe rocket pro streets. I took a fall once in 'em, unfortunately the bike fell on my shin and that part was damaged. My feet/ankles remained in good condition.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM

I don't care for those Alpinestars shoe-boot type things. They feel like a boot that's missing the top. ;-) Its just that they're clunkly feeling. Yeah, they have the same ankle protection that the full boot has but your shins will be exposed. I took a roofing shingle against my daily wear Alpinestars boots recently on the interstate doing about 70mph. Several of those damned shingles were blowing out the back of a truck. It nailed my left shin right on the boot. I felt the impact of the shingle but thank goodness that boot was there or I'd have really felt it! :O ;-)

Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 PM

They'll work fine for impact resistance on the ankle, but will do little to prevent a twisting or flexing/extension injury to the ankle. I like their looks, but their protection compared to a full boot just isn't there.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 AM

Is the nearly 100bucks worth it when im usually a local rider maybe once a year a long out of state tripper?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 AM

Well, the distance doesn't matter so much since most accidents happen within 10 miles or so from home (as they say). I'll tell you, at first I was looking for a low-top boot that simply covered my ankle and had some reinforcement for the shifting foot. Now, a year later, I find myself shopping for a calf high-boot because of the previously mentioned accident where I hurt my calf and also because the taller boots provide better protection also from twists and the like, not just from rash like the low-tops. I would have saved that hundred last year if I had just gotten a regular boot from the get go.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 AM

I am kind of in the same dilemma. I was looking at the Shift Kicker shoe because I am not a fan of the calf highs. I wear Alpinestars shin and knee protectors under my pants but I do not like the twisting/rolling of the ankle that you guess seem to say is a good risk with just the riding shoes... I have semi bad ankles...Roll them all the time. Not to thread jack or anything but since it was on the topic of shoes and boots can some more people enlighten me on some options for boots that arent ridiculously expensive or clunky?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 AM

Are the shin guards any good for just casual riding? Im looking at the footwear of Sidi or Alpinestar since I have heard that they both offer wide and I have wider feet. Nothing from them I have found has been over 300bucks.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

their calf high for a reason, the lo-rise backetball type shoes wont be as protective esp when it come to the ankle. But they should be better than tennis shoes n flip flops!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
their calf high for a reason, the lo-rise backetball type shoes wont be as protective esp when it come to the ankle. But they should be better than tennis shoes n flip flops!!!

Every single time I see someone riding with flip flops on I really feel like slapping myself. That's just ASKING for trouble.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boots

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.