Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Awesome Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Awesome Headlights

I didnt leave them in there for vey long. I only left them in there for about a week and a half (till I got my new ones). I did a couple longer rides (a few hours) and nothing went wrong. I took off the rubber cover, and took out the connector and the light, and there wasnt anything wrong with it.

i am not sayin nothing will go wrong, because, even the outside of the light felt HOT!!, but everything was okay when I had mine in there. I just put those 100W bulbs in my car. I just really didnt want to chance it. But, for that short amount of time, I didnt have any problems

(I still have 2 packs of the 55W packs left if anybody ants some.)

Old 12-01-2006, 01:15 AM

are you still as happy with the 55w as you were with the 100w?

how are the 55w at night?

do these give off that luxery/sport car type of blue? ( the ones my wife hates)

Old 12-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Yea I am just as happy with the 55w. Up close they just look white. but going down the road the have a superwhite/light blue tint (not as blue as lexus though), but they are super bright and really light up the road. The 100W ones are in my car and work perfect in there. I still have a set of the 55W ones forsale if your interested. But yeah, I have pictures of the new ones (55w) if you want to see them.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:08 AM

Appearances can be decieving with headlights bulbs... I'm just going to tell you that there isn't a single blue bulb out there which is good for you. Plain and simple, if it's coated in blue, you are getting the short end of the stick. Why?

Blue tinted bulbs cut out alot of the spectrum, inherently impotant because Halogen doesn't produce much in the blue region already, so you are losing 30% of your light. You aren't gaining anything with a filter, only losing. Blue light also encourages "fuzziness" you can't focus on the bluer spectrum. Try focusing on a blue light in the dark, jog your head back and forth, you'll see what I mean.

Secondly, any halogen bulb can ONLY produce 20 lumens per watt max. It's a problem with the efficiency, and some bulb seem to "make up for it" with higher watttages, but with the blue filter, it's actually worse off than an untinted bulb. Don't be "tricked" by your own eyes, the eye is very sensitive to the blue region, and it's percieved impact, it's just human nature to think "blue is brighter"... It's not if you were to do some tests, it's the lack of red/orange which makes it appear brighter. But halogens put out 50-70% of their light in the orange region (3000k or so) and you are losing most of that with a blue filter.

HIDs put out around 3500 lumens at 35 watts. Halogens put out ~1000 lumens at 55watts... at 100watts they MAY be up to 2000 lumens at best (no filter). Your 100w blue filtered bulbs are probably around 1200-1400 lumens realistically. The extra watts are mainly wasted. But there IS a better bulb, a newer bulb that fits into H7.

The H-series bulbs goes up as newer bulbs come out, H9, H11, H13 are all more efficient sources of light due to the nature of the filament, orientation etc... H9 put out around 2100 lumens at 65watts, and they make a H9 bulb with a H7 socket, namely a "H9 burner on H7 base". You can get these from either Daniel stern lighting (reccomended) or Rallylights.com. These truly are better bulbs.

You can also put HIDs of the OEM variety in, with a 10$ washer... I tried this, and am not quite sure if I will go with this OEM HID setup of the above H9 bulbs... OEM HID is 4000k, and the best, and only HID you should be looking at if you are serious about lighting, anything aftermarket, Plug and Play is usually junk, and at best tolerable... HIDs shouldn't really be used in Halogen housings, but they do work, and I need to take some good shots with these in the bike to prove it as such... stay tuned.

These are just opinions, don't mean to rain on anyone's parade or be negative, just wanted to put my facts out there so people can make their own decisions. I would never own a blue tinted bulb is all.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:17 AM

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
[*]65W Osram Ultra High Output (2100 lumen, H9 burner on H7 base, race and special-purpose use): $26.40/ea

I would reccomend supporting the above gentleman, Daniel Stern, he is a top notch lighting guru in the industry, and tailor makes lighting solutions for you. Or you can just get the bulbs... If you're not comfortable dealing 1 on 1, you can go to rallylights.com who get their lights from Daniel (so I've heard)

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H7.asp

[align=center]CP64217[/align]
H7 Bulb, 12V, 65W, H9 Burner, 2100 Lumens by Osram, each
[align=left]$23.15[/align]

I would not bother with any other lightbulb than the above. You can also create yourself a harness if you wanted, but you would probably need extra sockets. This would also net you some more light if you used 12 guage wire and a relay off the battery... Because Honda uses a proprietary socket for their H7 bulbs, You would need to use an H4 socket instead, it's pin compatible with the proprietary bulb holder that Honda uses... trust me, I used to sell Honda Headlights with these sockets.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:17 PM

has anyone used those h9 h7 bulbs.....im looking for something for my 929. i dont want to blind oncoming drivers but the stock bulbs dont seem to throw real far. Id love projectors but dont have the $ right now and I dont think they look right in the 929 headlight.