Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

The story of one neglected Triumph...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again thanks for the compliments I'm most probably not going to put any kind of a fairing to the front. I originally had two choices, either buy and use a lamp/mask combo or go full "cyborg" as that idea got ditched with the cbr, I tried searching for a decent mask that I wouldn't find in every other fighter project but the ones on ebay all had like tiny 20watt bulbs and were clearly only to be seen and not see yourself, not to mention the illegality here so I went for the option 2. Was thinking about a belly pan but probly not gonna make that either.

Not entirely sure about the handlebars, they might just be a wee bit too wide. I'll see what they look and feel like if I push them through the clamps about 20-25mm, I'll be needi g a fixing point for the new reservoir anyway and it might fix the horn button clearance issue at the same time.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson
Got a bit of free time at the garage today so I decided to swap the old Kawasaki muffler......to the original but ran into a bit of a snag:

It doesn`t fit. Either the pipe coming from the manifold, or the mid section going to the muffler is too long.

The right rearset is damaged and looks awful. This explains why the brake pedal hits the pipe when pushed to the bottom. *sigh* another money hole...
Actually, what I think is that someone may have bent the rear of head pipe up to get the Kawi can to fit. That's mostlikly why the brake peddle hits it. They may have simply loosened the head pipe at the head and moved the pipe to aline with the Kawi can and then re-tightened the head pipe and got it to seal.

That's what I was thinking.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 11-16-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Had to check before answering, there are no evidence of the pipe being bent in any way, and the method it is fixed to the bike prevents fitting in any other position than the one it sits in. I`ve had some posts in a Triumph forum that for some reason the pipe looks oddly long, there shouldn`t be any issues if I cut an inch or two out.

I went to spend the gift card the other day and ended up getting all the liquids to the bike in one stop. Ended up paying another 75e over the gift card but should now have good quality fluids all around.

The new footrest hanger came friday, very neatly packed and hardly even used.

The brake fluid reservoirs came too, but now that I`ve seen them in the flesh I`m not liking the color... So that`s the first swing `n miss of this project, not much of a loss cause they were something like 5 eur a piece so I`ll be using them for the test fitting and probably order another pair for final use later so I won`t scratch them. I also moved the bars in 25mm and turned them back a bit too, made a surprisingly big difference into the position.

Didn`t get the bracket to bend neatly so I`ll be making a new better one later but that one will do on the test fitting phase.

I made a quick test fit with the forward indicators too, some might not like them being there but to me they look pretty good. They fulfill the law requirements very, very barely so some officious copper might try to give me a hard time about them but I`ll be prepared cause I remember the law section word to word

Last edited by Mattson; 10-29-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Not much of an update but had to post... I went to the metal shop again today and this was waiting for me there:

Custom hand made from a solid hunk of stainless steel! Still needs a bit of a finishing touch as I need to break the glueing from the threads of the little nipple and drill the hole a little bit deeper so I get that gap to disappear and can polish those last little vice marks out from the center part. The guy that did this for me persistently declined to accept any kind of compensation from the work but I`m not having it! Gotta make a some kind of a "merry cristmas" basket, a few bottles of something nice and so on...

Last edited by Mattson; 10-29-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson
Not much of an update but had to post... I went to the metal shop again today and this was waiting for me there:

Custom hand made from a solid hunk of stainless steel! Still needs a bit of a finishing touch as I need to break the glueing from the threads of the little nipple and drill the hole a little bit deeper so I get that gap to disappear and can polish those last little vice marks out from the center part. The guy that did this for me persistently declined to accept any kind of compensation from the work but I`m not having it! Gotta make a some kind of a "merry cristmas" basket, a few bottles of something nice and so on...
Looks nice!! A little bit of polishing and it'll be a dandy!

Old 12-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Gawd I hate moving...

The living quarters of the new house are slowly starting to resemble a human dwelling and I was going to our old apartment with the truck today anyway so I went to get a load from the garage at my moms too:

Honda, Triumph and KTM, shelves and a truckload of other stuff at my new garage downstairs. Still a heck of a mess, the brown boxes on the left holds new chairs for our dining room table, the boiler room (door at the back) needs to be emptied and turned into a workshop (tables, shelves etc.) at least the most important part of the shop is already in place: a fridge full of beer

I received a letter from the customs yesterday that the new tail has arrived and is awaiting for me to pay the VAT which I`ll be doing tomorrow so I`m expecting it to come sometime next week.

Last edited by Mattson; 10-29-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:50 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

she`s taking shape mattson and looking good, your doing a good job, i couldnt agree more about moving, i always manage to lose something important, only to find it 6 months later

Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 AM

I haven't counted but I've done something around 100-ish moves, of which I got RSI on both of my wrists, got a brace on my left hand when writing this, it got upset from the carrying again... but doing it for others is like NOTHING compared to the packing, unpacking and finding new places for everything... The whole house still looks like after a hurricane but it's getting better a bit by bit... I started making the tables yesterday but a 1yr baby the next door and an 8mth old at home restricts the noisy hours a bit, drilling concrete wall shakes the whole house not to mention the sound of the circle saw... am going to visit my moms at weekend and hopefully could get some tools with me again, I'm trying to get the tables and shelves done by that so I could bring the vice, bench drill and some chemicals. Also gonna try to get rid of all the stuff that doesn't belong into the garage so I clöould get some space to actually DO something there... also have to order an electrician as there is TWO sockets in the whole garage and even they are in stupid places...

Last edited by Mattson; 12-17-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:41 PM

Bit by bit the garage is slowly getting done, alas juggling between that, the inside, work and sleep none are getting proper attention... Got most of the tables done today and some junk out, now I can actually see the floor! well, some of it anyway...

The mailman dropped a huge box at our door today, so for the Triumph christmas came a bit early! Just as expected, solid Airtech quality, straight as an arrow, almost flawless gelcoat surface, and it`s even lighter than the one on the CBR which is a little odd cause this one is bigger, or at least feels like it. Overall very satisfied, although I did run into an itty bitty problem... The infill panels that goes between the tail and the tank, the ones that are currently sent to the UK being hydrodipped into carbon fiber pattern, doesn`t fit into place with this tail cause apparently it has them integrated into the shape! Most definitely am NOT going to try and cut this one cause I`m 100% certain it wouldn`t end up looking good so I might just try and sell them when they arrive... A bummer, although the original idea was to get the hugger dipped and those were just thrown in to the box at last minute...

Ohh the tail just SCREAMS for slash cut LED:s! Gotta see what`s in the market and make decisions accordingly.

Hopefully I`d have time to test fit the tail next weekend, probly have to do the same I had with the honda and take the whole rear fender/tail light/plate holder assembly off before I get this thing on...

Last edited by Mattson; 10-29-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's gonna' look niiiiiiiiiice, and LEDs? Yes please!

Quick Reply: The story of one neglected Triumph...