Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are you "wasting" your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Ask those BMW guys how many have M3's and M5/6's and how many of those go to the nurburgring. How many people who own old warplanes actually bomb things and shoot down other planes? I have a large military gun collection yet I don't kill anyone, am I wasting them as well?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get it wrong. There are a bunch of good guys over there. Very knowledgeable, ride sensibly on the street and can prolly take most ppl on the track... then there are the twits that almost make me wish for mod powers there.

I lean towards Nick Ienatsch's The Pace. Entirely possible to both thrill and test yourself while, at worst, bending the laws. I've opened up Yolie. Who can honestly say they could resist the temptation. And doing so, realized short of the Texas Mile Yolie's top end is wholely and completely unnecessary. If anyone wasted her, it's the engineers at BMW.

They created a true beast... then shoved it in a cage by selling it to the general public for street use. And no worries, I haven't opened Yolie up since. There's no need...

And it was terrifyingly exciting. Don't wanna get used to that.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Ask those BMW guys how many have M3's and M5/6's and how many of those go to the nurburgring. How many people who own old warplanes actually bomb things and shoot down other planes? I have a large military gun collection yet I don't kill anyone, am I wasting them as well?
No, definitely not. I have kept all of my bikes since I started riding on the road and buying my own bikes - 36 years ago! I have a big shed

They all bring back memories of trips/experiences/crashes/rebuilds - and I would have great difficulty parting with any of them. Some are used sporadically, some daily and others will remain parked until I shuffle off this mortal coil!

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 11-07-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '08 CBR1000RR. If anything, I "waste" its potential on the street but I bought it not so much for what I planned on doing with it but rather what it CAN do.

I love riding around at close to the speed limit, knowing the potential of what I'm sitting on can do if I twist my wrist a little. That gives me about as much satisfaction than if I actually did it.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to say the majority of the biker population are "wasting" their bikes,
since trackers are such a tiny subset of the whole.

If that's why you bought it...and it sits (with your leathers) in the garage gathering
dust, year after year...well, yeah, that's a waste. Especially, if you scuff the side-walls
and your leathers with sandpaper, so you can brag to your buddies at the bar...lol

Ern

Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike gets me extra cool points at *$'s so technical answer to your question is no it is not wasted.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think Im wasting mine at all. Ill admit there is always more potential to be unlocked with these bikes, there always is, for everybody.. but I (once in a blue moon) do operate them how they were intended when nobody is around. I wont lie one bit (and sorry if riders like myself increase insurance costs, I pay it too), I redline and run 125+ from time to time. I ride everyday in the dark basically working 12 hour shifts, 30 miles, if Im on an empty highway for miles.. well there you go. And I bet nobody on this forum can say they have never had a "squid" moment or two. Maybe thats not these bikes are for but.. I think anybody would agree the thrill and exhilaration is what usually attracts a person to a sport bike. If you have fun, you're not wasting your bike.

As for the guy that wont ride his bike on the track, big deal I wouldnt give him **** but I would agree that if you have significant fear or doubt at all, a litre bike is not for you. And Im not "chest pounding" Im just stating my personal opinion.

Guys who let there bike sit in the garage or outside for months on end, thats wasting a motorcycle.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I'm not wasting my bikes by keeping them off the track, I'm wasting them by barely riding much in the first place. Yarr!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM

I would absolutely love to take my bike to track and learn how to properly track it. But there aren't any real tracks around my area .

And no I don't feel like I waste it. Gas is basically 4 dollars a gallon up here and she saves me a ton!

Of course its 15 years old and its 32 degrees outside....