Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Yesterday was gorgeous...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yesterday was gorgeous...

And today is going to be just as nice!

Day before yesterday I rode to my buddies house in Platte City and we went for a ride. He's got an 01 F4i. Had a blast, stayed the night, then rode home yesterday and met up with another buddy of mine who's got a 75 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer (sweet *** bike actually).

Anyway, what I wanted to get at was that while riding with my buddy on his 75, I noticed a few things. First of all, he doesn't speed above 5mph over... ever. Doesn't sound bad - but I guess I never realized how much I actually do speed (I'm no speed demon on the streets, but...).

Him and I rode for about 2 hours and the entire time I never sped once. Wow... kinda frustrating. We hit our parkway a couple of times and it was so damn hard to not get on it through those twisties that I eventually just had to let him lead or else we really wouldn't have been riding, "together."

I always thought of myself as a polite rider, I don't cut people off. I may weave, but I do it when there is plenty of room - not like I'm splitting lanes or anything. But riding yesterday made me wonder if most people ride like my buddy, or if even some of you guys are guilty of gettin' on it on some empty, winding roads?

Like I said, I always thought of myself as a polite rider, but he made me question the legitimacy of my claims... so...

Do you guys NEVER speed or what? What's the general consensus here? What kind of riders do you consider yourselves and also - have you ever HAD to go the speed limit the entire time you went for a ride and if so did it drive you effing nuts?

P.S. Anyone know about parts for that 550? It's a sweet bike and if I ever got a cruiser it would definitely be a bike like this. I would make James Dean eat his heart out. Anyway, he could use some spare rotors, carbs and just maybe a parts bike in general... lemme know if you can point me in a direction, thanks!

Here's a pic, it's got his 68 GMC Stepside in the background. We put a lot of work into that truck, it's got a 400 big block, Jasper racing transmission and a Hurst slapshifter kit - immaculate interior. Fun truck!

Name:  DavisCafeRacer.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  70.7 KB

Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Default RE: Yesterday was gorgeous...

It all depends on where Im at, if Im in town I dont speed (maybe 3-4 over). When Im out of town on a two-lane by myself HELL YEA!

BTW, We've had gorgeous weather here in Ga the last couple of days too! Its been great!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:31 PM

Im not an agressive rider either......but i question that myself when i ride with
my neighbor (05 gsxr 750).....he also stays right at or just over the limit....
In NY we have a 55mph limit on the parkways and its NOT EASY to stay
there the whole time....I usually fall back and "catch up" to get my quick thrill

Weather in NY is great too...was in the high 40's yesterday and today seems nicer....
was out for a lil bit yesterday and gonna go for a ride today too....
damn i miss the summer[>:]

Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM

If its a place im familiar with i may go alittle over but if its some place ive seen cops before or places i dont go much ill stick to 0-5 over. But for the most part they dont give me to much trouble i live by all of them... Its 60 again here so nice

Old 02-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here, if you're only going 5 mph over the limit, you're being passed by everyone. Some of the posted speed limits are a joke. I think it's 50 mph on the Palisades Parkway, but traffic routinely moves at 75 or 80.

I try not to be the fastest guy on the road. I'll let someone else collect the speeding tickets.

I'd say the only thing I do that would maybe be considered obnoxious is splitting lanes, but I only do that when traffic is at a standstill or close to it, which is a lot of the time here in NYC.

(edited to add: that cb550 looks so cool!)

Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 PM

In NY we have a 55mph limit on the parkways and its NOT EASY to stay
there the whole time....I usually fall back and "catch up" to get my quick thrill
GodI love the Northern state, Jackie Robinson,and Bethpage pkwy. I can keep going on and on.........
I'm the one never doing the speed limit. I like to stay out in front of traffic. For the most part lower N.Y. has a posted speed limit at least 50 mph for hywy and pkwy. There are about14 millon people that live here(N.Y.C., Nassau, andSuffolk county). About 5 million of them live In Nassau and Suffolk county. The average household has at least three cars. My point is there's alot of F**kin traffic. Most traffic is at least doing 65-75 mph. I'll average 5- 10 niles over the rate of traffic. If people are going 60 I'm going 65/70 If there doing 70 I'm going 75/80. I'm only concerned with my group and myself. We stay in a tight formation. If I'm by myself I only worry about me because nobody else will.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 13brsxsrr

GodI love the Northern state, Jackie Robinson,and Bethpage pkwy.
bethpage is right down the block from me......i always take it all the way north and jus ride around the circle over n over.......where in NY are you?
Northern State is my fav. and the SS @ night between cross island and wantagh pkwys east bound

Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: 13brsxsrr

If I'm by myself I only worry about me because nobody else will.
If that ain't the truth I don't know what is...

Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 PM

I'm in Suffolk "down by the beach boyeeee". I'm right off Montauk hywy.