Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Xbox live........teach me....

Old 10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox live........teach me....

ok so ive never used xbox live before, and i know my new xbox comes with a silver membership for awhile, which is probably useless......i have some questions on how to get started whats free, whats not etc etc...

so i know a wireless adapter is like $99 bucks.....
can i hard wire it to my router?

under a silver membership i probably can't play with you guys right? but gold i can?
what can silver membership do?

can a silver membership download game expansion packs and stuff?
like mission modes for NG, and songs for GH3?

does it cost more money for that too?

obivously im trying to decide if i can do much for little to no money.......whats worth it, and whats not?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Xbox live........teach me....

buy gold, as for the wireless router, i have no idea, but im investing in one when i get off work today, downloads do cost money (sometimes borderline *** rapingly so), im not actually sure what the silver membership does, but im almost completely sure its useless

Old 10-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Registered Users

yes you can hardwire to your router ifyou can and are willing to run an ethernet cable (totally worth IMO)....with silver i don't think you can but you can track achievements and the like i THINK...not 100% sure on the whole gold vs. silver argument....

yes silver can download content...no issues there...you have to pay for them though...even gold does....

that answers your "more money" question

if you like to play online with people, get gold....i think it's only $60 right...is it $100....it's yearly so i spring for it once a year...it's nice to have friends and be able to pop online and chat and play a game when i am bored...do you need, no....but if you get games you can play online, it's definitely worth it....

just my .02....i just have it renew on my CC and pay it when it comes in...sort of set it and forget it

Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM

do it hayden! all the cool kids have gold memberships...ps post your gamertag when you get one

SnOoZy1985 here (i want to change it one day)

Old 10-13-2008, 03:07 PM

Silver membership is free, it allows you to access the Xbox LIVE marketplace and download games from the XBLA (Xbox LIVE Arcade), download extra content for games, and rent movies and tv shows from the marketplace. Gold membership is around $50/yr, but you can buy a 12 month gold card from Amazon for $40, sometimes cheaper. Gold allows you to play multiplayer online, that's the only perk I can name for it, but one that is worth it; granted I normally only play online. FYI, there are rumors going around LIVE will be free someday, but that is not anything happening very soon IF it even does.

Oh yeah, as for the network connection. You can hook the Xbox up however you like, wired or wireless. Basically just make sure you have an internet connection to it and that is all. I have a wireless adapter because I don't like a 50 foot cat5 cable across my house.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

you can find the wireless adapter on craigslist usually for 40-60 . in the stores its still 99.99 (ouch) but the ethernet cable works just fine

dump the silver and pay for a full year of gold up front (deffinetly the best way to go)

Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM

I bought a Linksys wireless adapter from Best Buy for $60. It was with the computer stuff, not the Xbox stuff, but it specifically said for 360, Playstation, etc.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM
VP

I got my wireless adaptor on eBay for $25 almost a year ago ... just keep an eye out! Also, with Black Friday right around the corner, lots of these peripherals go on sale to bring business to the store.

PS: Lots of these guys talk about Xbox live but I never seen em on there any more!

FFingers/Catamang, I'm talking to you!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

I got my wireless adaptor on eBay for $25 almost a year ago ... just keep an eye out! Also, with Black Friday right around the corner, lots of these peripherals go on sale to bring business to the store.

PS: Lots of these guys talk about Xbox live but I never seen em on there any more!

FFingers/Catamang, I'm talking to you!!!
uhhhh!!! what had happened was!!! ummmmm...see...there was this thing...yea! this thing!!!

im actually going to be buying the wireless router today hopefully, for some reason my xbox live doesnt connect directly to my computer like it used to for some reason [&:]and with fingers crossed, it'll be a seamless transition

Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Retired Moderator

...But you did see me the other day! If you're computer is close enough, just run an ethernet cable. When my kids come over for the weekend, they use the wireless and I plug into the ethernet so we can run both boxes. I also recommend getting the gold membership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xbox live........teach me....