Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wussy in the right hand corners

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wussy in the right hand corners

Put my first 100 miles on the bike, and the first thing I realized when I was done is that I'm a puss when turning to the right. Even my rear tire shows it, lol. I don't know if its because of my past on the dirt tracks, or if its just being reassured that I have better control of the rear brake. Anyone else like this? Find it easier to turn one direction?

Logan

Old 02-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Default RE: Wussy in the right hand corners

put some traffic cones out in a open [perferably paved] space away from traffic and people and practice your right hand turns, ride slow learn the feel of the bike. anybody can ride fast learn the basics going slow, it helped me when i did my dmv skills test.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Retired Administrator

Like he said... practice, practice, practice slow turns in a parking lot... as slow as you can go. And do it often. This will make you learn the bike and be more comfortable on it and this will transition to the rest of your riding at different speeds. Are you having problems with slow turns or all right turns?

Old 02-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Retired Admin

I had this discussion with some friends I ride with and we came to a possible reason, when turning right your preasure is on the throttle bar and that may be a reason for feeling less control....do the slow turns and practice. You'll get the feel and be fine in no time, its good that you notice it already....now you can attack it![8D]

Old 02-28-2006, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the info! I wouldn't say that I'm having troubles, as I'm not rushing into anything. I don't have any problems making a tight right hand corner in traffic, I just don't feel as comfortable. I just notice that when I make left corners, I roll onto the throttle sooner.
I did the big no-no, and bought a 600 for my first street bike . I think the fact that I'm still scared of it really helps me out. I've got alot of years expirience on a dirt bike, which I can say does me absolutely NO good on the street, hehe. When I get slow enough, I end up waving a little, but I definately need to keep practicing.

Logan

Also, what rpm should I be turing with my F4 at 60mph? My speedo says I'm barely over 60 mph at 5000 rpm. That seems a bit high to me. The bike has had several things done to it, and the previous owner hadn't done any of it, and had no clue what had been done.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:04 AM

As far as the turning right bit, I've been riding street on and off for more than 15 years, and to this day I still turn left better than I turn right. Street, track, it doesn't seem to matter, I've always got more "chicken strip" on the right side of both tires than on the left. I've never heard a good explanation for it, maybe we'll learn something in this post....?

Old 02-28-2006, 03:48 AM

I had this discussion with my uncle the other day. He's been riding for about 45 years now and he still corners better to the left. I do too, but I'm still a new rider. We were thinking it might have something to do with getting on the bike from the left side and also driving a car on the left side. I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 AM

Gets some practice in you`ll soon feel right at home.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most rights you start out near the right (we ride on the right side of the road) so you're going in near the curb and swinging out leaves you vulnerable to opposite traffic. Turning left you can see through the turn better and go with a deeper line. Practice going towards the left of your lane before the right turn and it should help some. As always, watch out for the slick crap that loves the apex of street curves[:@]

Old 02-28-2006, 10:30 AM

just be careful not to pull too far away to the left, you neer know if you have any a**holes that will try to pass you since they think ur switching lanes. But yes, i'm a lil bit slower on the right hand side because of that issue. But once its like on a highway on like a on ramp, should have no problems, but i'm a lot slower going on a offramp

Quick Reply: Wussy in the right hand corners