Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Whats the Worst Production Car of all Time?
Pontiac Aztec
39.29%
AMC Pacer
7.14%
Chevy SSR
7.14%
Dodge Aries
7.14%
Other (specify)
39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Worst Production Car EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique

I dont care what a car looks like, if it is unsafe for my family to be in, thats what makes it one of the worst cars ever. Ford Contour takes the cake for recent pieces of crap. I have personally worked on four of them with completely blown motors under 100,000 miles. Aztec is ugly, ill give you that, but dont know much of how its built. Talk to your local mechanic, and ask him if he has ever worked on a FORD CONTOUR, a master tech friend says thats the worst car he has ever had to work on. He has been working on cars for 40 years, so ill take his word on comparisons of older crap cars.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Anyway, I think a vote for the worst production car of all time should go to the old VW Beetle, especially the ones from the 60s. You *might* get it up to highway speed after about 5 minutes if you had a tail wind and were drafting behind a semi.

In the winter be sure and dress warmly because the car was not. About all it was good for was that the windshield kept the wind from blowing directly on you. The excuse of a heater rusted out after the first year or two. It never really worked when it was new anyway. It got its heat from the rear mounted engine air. The engine cooling fan was supposed to force whatever warm air from the rear of the car where the engine was, up to the passenger compartment. It never quite did. If the lack of a heater didn't freeze you out then the rusted out floorboard with the wind whistling through surely would.

Speaking of rust, you had to be sure it didn't get too bad or the battery that was mounted under the rear seat would fall out. The battery compartment was one of the first things to rust through.

I owned a '72 Beetle and all this reminds me of the fun times I had with it. At least it got close to 30 mpg.
haha speaking of parts falling off my aunt and uncle had a 70's beetle and when they were going to az from mn they hit a railroad crossing and the motor and tranny fell right out.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM

I'd like to nominate the Ford Festiva. Aside from that whole "molotov cocktail" bumper thing, the Pinto was a much better car.
The Chevy Vega, except for the limited edition Cosworth Vega, was another piece of crap. The Cosworth Vega was pretty cool, though.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

i vote any two seater luxury sports car... corvette, viper, lambo, Ferrari... so on and so forth IMO completely pointless except to go fast break laws and kill yourself...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of the first cars (if you want to call it that was one of these) Citroen Dyane

It was the worst POS I ever had .........kept it for a total of 9 days

Used to crank it from the front with the jack handle when the battery ran down LOL

Gearboxes were crap and I had the fast one with the bigger 600cc motor

Later tho it was replaced with it's bigger sister ........another piece of aircooled madness know as the Citroen GS

This one I took on a trip to a Rugby international in Cardiff Wales in the early 1980's , on the motorway from Hollyhead
the front grill came off , behind that was a huge air cooling fan for the motor , which was fine .......until a pigeon
got sucked into it and the engine compartment eventually caught fire but the smell of fresh cooked pigeon sure put a thirst on the lads and meself .......this POS got to end it's life in Wales in the UK

Last edited by Sprock; 11-07-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G_954rr
Ford Contour takes the cake for recent pieces of crap.
I disagree on this one. I owned a Mercury Mystique (the Mercury version of the Contour) for 10 years and put 140,000-something miles on it. I had the V6 Duratec with a 5-speed manual, not the 4-cylinder or automatic. It was a fun little car and I didn't have any major problems with mine.

For the few problems I did I have I just turned to the Contour/Mystique owner website for help. The Contour enthusiasts' forum is one of the most helpful places I've ever visited, even though the car has been out of production for 12 years.

Originally Posted by LJ Harp
i vote any two seater luxury sports car... corvette, viper, lambo, Ferrari... so on and so forth IMO completely pointless except to go fast break laws and kill yourself...
LOL - I imagine many non-motorcyclists would say the same thing about our two-wheeled toys. I own a Viper and it was not meant to be a soccer mom people hauler or grocery getter. It does a great job of doing what it was built for - to go fast. Just don't ask me about the fuel economy.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Cool

[quote=RoadiJeff;1112252]I disagree on this one. I owned a Mercury Mystique (the Mercury version of the Contour) for 10 years and put 140,000-something miles on it. I had the V6 Duratec with a 5-speed manual, not the 4-cylinder or automatic. It was a fun little car and I didn't have any major problems with mine.

All the Contour/Mystique engines that were blown were the 2.0. My pespective is from service technicians point of view. Im the one that has to try to fix the problems with them. I get stiffed because, theres always multiple things wrong with them, including timing belt shucking off, 2.5 has chain. My problem here is: They all have the same exact problems over and over, why was there not a recall. Question: you make money off of fixing car, so, why complain. Answer: There is no permanent fix; customer come back and blame technician for not fixing problem, losing valued customers. Company makes money, dealership makes money, but, the little guy, loses money, and looks bad for doing his best.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 PM

+1 on the chevette and definitely the Nissan cube