Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Woman Painting Fingernails While Driving Convicted In Motorcyclist’s Death

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woman Painting Fingernails While Driving Convicted In Motorcyclist’s Death

AMA: Woman Painting Fingernails While Driving Convicted In Motorcyclist’s Death

Written by: AMA Communications
American Motorcyclist Association
Date: 05/07/2010 - 07:54 PM

A woman who was painting her fingernails while driving and smashed into motorcyclist Anita Zaffke, killing her, has been convicted of felony reckless homicide, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.
Lora Hunt, 49, reportedly showed no emotion when the jury read the verdict after deliberating a little more than three hours on May 6. The trial lasted two days.

Hunt, a nurse, faces up to five years in prison when she is sentenced next month.

Zaffke, 56, was killed when Hunt, who police said admitted she was painting her fingernails at the time of the crash, smashed into the back of Zaffke’s motorcycle at a stoplight in Lake Zurich, Ill., about 40 miles north of Chicago, on May 2, 2009.

At the trial, Hunt testified she had stopped painting her nails before the fatal crash. Her defense lawyer argued Hunt’s actions were negligent, like eating a sandwich or talking on a cellphone in a car, and not reckless, according to the Chicago Tribune.

But Assistant State’s Attorney Mike Mermel, who prosecuted the case, argued that Hunt acted recklessly, the newspaper said.
“It is not the same as biting a sandwich. ...It’s a voluntary disablement,” the newspaper quoted Mermel as saying. “She might as well have been in the back seat making a sandwich.”

Greg Zaffke II of Wauconda, Ill., the victim’s son, told WGN News following the verdict: “There are no winners today. There is no celebration or happiness. Two families will forever carry the hurt and anguish caused by one person’s reckless actions behind the wheel.”

After the fatal crash, Zaffke began painting his fingernails black as a reminder to anyone he meets of his mother’s death. And he formed the Black Nail Brigade Foundation Against Distracted Driving (http://www.BlackNailBrigade.org) to publicize the dangers of distracted driving, push for legislation to impose appropriate penalties for distracted drivers who seriously injure or kill others, and to boost awareness to share the road with motorcycles.

He told WGN News that the Black Nail Brigade efforts transcend his mom’s death. “I love my mom, but I understand that. There are other loved ones dying,” he said.

“On behalf of the AMA and its members, I want to express our sincere condolences to Ms. Zaffke’s family,” said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. “This episode puts into stark relief the tragedy that can result from distracted driving, and we hope that our efforts and those of Greg Zaffke will help avoid further tragedies.”

In 2009, the AMA adopted a formal position statement that endorsed enhanced penalties for those who injure or kill others while operating a motor vehicle when distracted or inattentive operation is involved, with the goal of preventing motorcycle crashes from occurring in the first place. To read the AMA’s position statement on distracted and inattentive driving, go to AmericanMotorcyclist.com/legisltn/positions/distracted.asp.
--------------------------------------------------------
Be careful out there.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope she gets the maximum allowed by law - painting her f...g nails while driving for stuffs sake - idiot woman should be banned from driving ever again in addition to her jail term. I'm all for the black nail brigade !

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing your makeup... along with texting... has got to be the absolute dumbest thing you can do behind the wheel of a car. W.T.F.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 AM

and whats so wrong about painting yer nails while driving? lol it seems that everything is so more important than paying attention to the road and its traffic...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and whats so wrong about painting yer nails while driving? lol it seems that everything is so more important than paying attention to the road and its traffic...
Stop painting your nails while driving, bambam. (Or riding)

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Doing your makeup... along with texting... has got to be the absolute dumbest thing you can do behind the wheel of a car. W.T.F.
This is sad ... my wife makes me drive if she has to do her make up in the car...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Stop painting your nails while driving, bambam. (Or riding)
i hate gettin that chit on my grips....hehe

Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think she should have all her fingernails plucked out of her nailbed and then she should get run over by a suv-driving, whopper-inhaling, nail-painting, textoholic drunk bitch!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM

I don't think 5 years is enough for an incident like this. She killed someone while driving, distracted or not, she should spend a lot longer than that.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 PM

Tragic what happened, but it's good to see that Hunt isn't being let off the hook. It seems like a lot of people operate under the idea that only evil people or those under the influence of drugs or alcohol can hurt or kill someone. Painting your nails while driving is showing that you're not mature enough to handle the responsibility of being on the road with others.

Quick Reply: Woman Painting Fingernails While Driving Convicted In Motorcyclist’s Death