Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why GIXXERS?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why GIXXERS?????

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

if you took the stickers off and lined up and R6, a CBR, a ZX and a GSX-R, they couldn'ttell them apartthem.
I agree... I can't tell them apart. They all look alike. Fully faired bikes look like old bars of soap with wheels. I like/hate their looks all equally. I think part of the problem is that most sportbike riders grew up looking at econoboxes and thinking that is what a car looks like. Guys like my father grew up where cars were rolling sculptures, I grew up with American musclecars like Chrome bumpered Vettes, ChevelleSSs and on a good day A 'Cuda with goodies popping out of the hoods, many of you grew up thinking a Honda Civic is a good looking car or even an STi (hideous). Going to car shows, you see people walk by a Shelby Cobra (early sixties) and old Vettes and say 'that old car is shiny', but the same person will OOOh and AHHHH over an Evo IX with a little carbon fiber. Forget that the EVO is faster, it is FUGLY. Forget that the EVO can stop, it is just ghastley to look at and listen to.

So the discussion of whether a CBR is better looking than a GSXR is kinda dumb, they are all kinda ugly but most of the people out there are too brand loyal to notice.
Fish, I'm going to OT this thread for a minute. A Civic and and STi do not compare. Having been the owner of an STi (sans wing mind you), I can tell you that the car is nothing to scoff at for looks. It is purpose built. You can cram 4 people in. You can stop in 110ft versus the average 140-160 for passenger cars. Those looks, however brutish and unrefined, are safe/purposeful and the reinforced B-pillars can take a good roll and keep the passenger cabin intact. It is not a looker. It is not meant to be refined. It is meant to be a purpose built bitch whose transmission will handle power add ons and track days without complaint. No torque steer and a stability at speed that is hard to match. I tracked my car on multiple occasions (Road America at one point), and at one of the local open road track nights, a doctor driving a Z06 was giving me tips while telling me how he recommended an STi to one of his friends on a budget as a track car. I'd own one again in a heart beat. Plus, that horizontally opposed 4 cylinder sound is AWESOME. No Honda, Mits, or whatever inline 4 will ever compare to that sound

The GSXR is the same thing. It is an awesome performer that has an image skewed by misconception and assumptions of rider capabilities. I know a few track riders who are much better than me on GSXR's. You can't judge the whole by the actions of a few.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:31 PM

I dont like the looks of the gixxers as much as i do the hondas.BUt they do have stuff that honda should have been common by now on its bikes.

They have rear huggers,flash for the headlights,gear indicators,adjustable rear sets(at least on the 750's),ecu's are programable without buying extra parts(not 100% effective vs a power commander but still better than the honda).

Plus they are roughly (sticker to sticker 200.00 cheaper with all the extras above)..That we have to pay for if we want.

But to me a bike is a bike.I got the f4i because i got a great deal on it..I was looking at the gixxer ,r6 etc all at the same time.But something about the honda just caught me eye,even though it doesnt have all the other "bling " that the otther bikes have..Plus the *** end doesnt look like someone stepped on it and flattened it out

Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 PM

Honda's cost more and so are the parts (oem and aftermarket)

Also you can get giggy with a gixxer.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 AM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

yeah sorry, didn't mean it quite as harsh as it came off. that was rude and I apologize.

but I stand by my post, you did make a judgement. You bashed new riders with Suzukis for not knowing anything about bikes and for buying them because "all the cool kids have them" (aka: they are popular motorcycles). Your forming an opinion about mostly NEW riders because of the brand of motorcycle they bought, as if they already know that doing so will make people like you look down on them for it

My point here is simply that yes, Suzuki's are popular with squids, but they're also popular with new riders, experienced riders, trackday riders, racers, and everybody in between; in short they are POPULAR, and for some reason riding a popular bike is very unpopular these days (I feel a paradox coming on but I'll ignore that).
You're right woody, I did portray that, but I dont mean it. NEW riders I dont have a problem with, just the squids.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

monkey see monkey do comes to mind.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Banned

Having been the owner of an STi (sans wing mind you), I can tell you that the car is nothing to scoff at for looks. It is purpose built.
I am not saying the STi is not a great performer. The flat six is a great motor, 4wd, big brakes. Subaru makes a good car. But my point was its looks. Really, compare a 73 camaro to an STi or a 67 vette or a 70 cuda or even a 71 mach1, how about 75 eldorados? These are good looking cars (and built like crap compared to the subaru.You areare looking more than skin deep with that Subaru, awesome on the inside, lousy on the outside. My point was that ugly is accepted nowadays for vehicles and that most teens and twenty somethings overlook the looks and even embrace ugly because the cars perform so well. The same goes for bikes, they are all just plastic and stickers, like toys. They are ungodly fast and smooth, but some people can't see the ugly because they are blinded by the performance.

This really is just an opinion from an older guy (44 years old) that is a fan of cars (I have an 2006 Acura TL, S2000 and a 1970 454 Vette). All my vehicles I think are very nice looking and I just have the opinion that sportbikes are great to ride, ugly to look at.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 AM

I think most HD's are ugly to look at and alot of sport bikes are good looking. I am in no way bashing the GSX-R or any one that can ride one the way it's ment to be riden. I was just saying how I think it's funny/sad that just about everyone that wants a bike is all about the GSX-R and not for the right reasons. I don't mind the looks of most gixxers besides the Busa-hate how that bike looks.

I was out on the bike last night and as we were leaving Sheetz there were two GSX-R's pulling in that were the same style and looked like twins. I have seen these guys before and it looks like they got a buddy deal or something LOL!

I like riding with all differant bikes. last night we had my F4 the 03 636 and the 88 Ninja 500 out. The 500 is owned by my Cuz and she got it for $700.00 with only 20K on the clock, custom paint, hot cams, uni filter and Vance and Hines 2-1 full exhaust.

I am in no way a hater on any bikesI just don't like dumb asses that don't know a GSX-R from a R6.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM

I think its a good that that most people looking to get into sportbike riding favor gsxr's. Atleast they're getting a good bike. just imagine if all new riders though buells were the ****. Theres nothing squidly or idiotic about not knowing stuff about sportbikes before you even own one. The only people that kinda bug me are the ones that do know the facts and still try to talk as much **** about other brands because they think whatever they ride is the best ever. When I'm looking for a new anything all I look at is the qualities that matter most to me. The only thing brand loyalty does for you is make you settle for less then the best just for a name.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:41 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJp4jjjaQ8Y .... proof.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Hatebreed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJp4jjjaQ8Y .... proof.
Killer shorts man LOL! That guy is smart. Again some one else took this post the wrong way. I really like Honda, but I know there are other good brand and bikes out there. The one guys is right. being brand loyal will make you loose out sometimes.

Quick Reply: Why GIXXERS?????