Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

who's fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default who's fault

im just curious here. i recall a post similar to this a long time ago, but thought i'd resurface the question w/ all the new members/riders. i dont want this to be an argument. its fine to debate, but lets keep it clean . i recall VERY differing opinions on this topic.

when riding back roads, that YOU are familiar w/.....but w/ a person who is not.....who is at fault if they wreck while trying to keep pace w/ you? were they riding out of their limits, should you have set a safer pace for them, should they have rode in their skill level as you rode in yours?

just curious as i meet many new riders in my area that want to go riding down twisty roads that i know well and that im comfortable w/, but they've never been down them. i dont want seat time or experience to be a factor in this. it is simple, you know the road, they dont.

where do you stand on this topic, touch gloves and keep it clean!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: who's fault

Im all for what keeps me, and my friends alive... what ever it takes![8D]
Even to say "Don't go there"

Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Did you tell them before hand that you were going to go fast and may outrun them, that hey i will wait up for you at the end of the twisty stretch, ride at your comfort level? If you did then its theirs. If you went out with a guy to ride together, i.e. hang out together,he is probably going to want to try and ride with you and keep up, so that would put some blame on you imo.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 PM

I believe the rider is responsible for riding their own bike. It is not fair to blame another riderif you wreck your bike unless they creep up on you and actually hit you or something like that.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM

oh, i have never had this come up.......never really got to meet up w/ all the new riders i've met since spring weather hit, just a question though. i know if i were to wreck trying to ride above my level i wouldnt blame anyone but myself.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 PM

I will take it slow across the road a couple times and let them get the feel of the road. And then its game on. I took a couple buddies to deals gap last year. We drove across the road to the gas station, unloaded and headed back to the overlook on bikes. We then picked it up slighty and headed back to the gas station and once more a little quicker back to the overlook. Thats 4 trips across. I told them when leaving the overlook. Be safe it is not a competion see you at the gas station.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez Louise, If I'm going to go with someone to a favourite piece off road, I'll let em know wot to expect as far as blind spots, gravel etc, keep the pace down to a decent level & give the rear view the odd glance to make sure all is ok. Alright, I've gone & shown off on a piece of road that I know with my eye closed, & its all to easy for everything to pear shaped if your really going for it & your mates trying to keep up, concentrating more on you than the road.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

Rider's responsibility. Especially if your with people that you have not ridden with before. You dont know where their skill level is at and they dont know where your skill level is at.

I would feel like an *** if I met someone for a ride, told them as we got to some twisty stuff that I was going to go for it and they don't need to try and keep up just to have one of them on a scoot pass me draggin a knee.

That's the fun part of riding with new people sometimes, establishing where your skill levels are. Get behind the guys who can rip on it, and see if you can learn a few things.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: dwschultzy

Rider's responsibility. Especially if your with people that you have not ridden with before. You dont know where their skill level is at and they dont know where your skill level is at.

I would feel like an *** if I met someone for a ride, told them as we got to some twisty stuff that I was going to go for it and they don't need to try and keep up just to have one of them on a scoot pass me draggin a knee.

That's the fun part of riding with new people sometimes, establishing where your skill levels are. Get behind the guys who can rip on it, and see if you can learn a few things.

+++++++++++++ 1

Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 PM

Well, I think every person is responsible for their own actions and their own bike. It depends on who I'd be riding with. I have some friends that know I'm going to outride them and they realize there isn't some kind of speed pissing match going on and aren't going to try and pace me. Others...hehe, not so much. If I was riding with someone like that, I'd purposely go slower just because I would feel obligated to help their stupid self not be as stupid. Generally speaking, I'm riding with friends because I enjoy the company, not because I want to try and prove something to them or outrun them.

To summarize:
If the faster rider knows that if he pushes it, his less skilled friend will do the same, the first friend has an obligation to look out for his friends best interests. If not, then some friend huh?
If the slower friend wrecks, he has no one but himself to blame, however, I still think that the faster friend maybe lacked a little responsibility or consideration for the wellbeing of his friend.

Quick Reply: who's fault