Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Who Works in Engineering/Architecture?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who Works in Engineering/Architecture?

I'm another Chemical Engineer, I am an on-site applications engineer for a major pump and seal manufacturer. Need to know something about mechanical seals?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

petrophysics analyst
What the HELL is that? Cracking and whatnot? Shooting a barrel of oil into space?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

petrophysics analyst
What the HELL is that? Cracking and whatnot? Shooting a barrel of oil into space?
hahahah right....exploration....i (we) findhydrocarbon pay(oil)in the ground using nuclear, sonic, and electrical readings from downhole tools. more speciffically i do imaging. heres the whole process...

company buys a parcel of land, sends out thumper trucks(huge lead weghts coated in rubber strapped to the bottom of and 18 wheeler and operated by hydraulics) set up sensors miles away from the truck on that land-blast the land with sonic waves using the trucks, generate a map of the reginal lithology and select a place to drill a hole (well) then they set up a pad(group of directionally drilled wells) and drill about 20k feet into the ground with multiple drill heads that are gps navigated (the technology behind this would blow your brainhole-all the data travels back upstream through the WELL MUD! no cables-they use pressure "BLIPS" to send digital data...)when the wel is drilled out our field engineers go out and drop several million dollar tools down this 20k ft deep hole in the ground and recover readings from the surroundding lithology, they then satellite uplinnk to our data servers and stream us the data(monitoring, recovering, and tech shootingthat part used to be my job) then heres where i come in now: geophysical processing- i take 30+gb tiff data files and run them through 4-5 different applications weve developed creating a "representation" of the borehole(well) environment-from my images combined with density/porosity and induction/resistivity measurements i then define sedimentary layers, bedding boundaries, soil types, formation tops, matrix permeabilityand do structural/stratographic analysis identifying faulted regions, borehole inconsistincies-breakout/rugosity,and very specific regional strike/dip measurements- after all is said and done i combine all the data from my department "petrophysics" starting with tripple combo data-sonic-shale count-water saturation-permeability-mda-imaging-and pulsed neutron decay data onto a big ole 48" widework plot using a design jet(hp) GIANT plotter and we present them to customers telling them where we "THINK" they have hydrocarbon payzones through out their new parcel.....

THIS IS THE SHORT AND SKINNY VERSION

[IMG]local://upfiles/20875/C0F7C6408B0A44248D25E8A753CBDAC0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2007, 10:49 AM

I work as a SolidWorks designer and also do AutoCAD when needed. I'm currently between jobs though, as my last few have just been temp jobs. I'm 27 and I've been doing it since right out of HS. I started college when I was 23 thinking of a Mechaical Engineering degree....then I said F that...with a capital F! I hate all aspects of it....dealing with socially lacking people, no girls, boring F'ing work, and working with total F'ing tards who have a VERY high opinion of themselves. The pay is fair though...it pays for my bike and other crap.
Since then, I've switched to a business degree, then will go to grad school for either an MBA or perhaps get into Law as ffingers has. Did I mention how much I hate engineering?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:49 AM

I'm still workin on my mechanical engineering degree. Over the summer I work for inductotherm making huge ridiculous furnaces. I'm not 100% sure but i think all our hondas have stuff cast from inductotherm furnaces. same with ford's and a ton of other huge companys. i didn't know how big Inductotherm was until my 3rd summer there.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

Did I mention how much I hate engineering?
Engineering schoolis difficult. It isn't for everyone. Business is pretty easy, MBA easier. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ffingers

well most of you know i'm a patent attorney...
Might need your services.

BTW- Network Security Engineer. Started college as Electrical/ Electronics Engineer then changed to Physics, then yada yada yada

Old 10-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Users

lol....send me a pm

Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Did I mention how much I hate engineering?
Engineering schoolis difficult. It isn't for everyone. Business is pretty easy, MBA easier. Good luck.
It's not a question of how hard the school is....no problem there....it's just how much I hate engineering work - not school!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Retired Moderator

I'm a choo-choo train engineer...[&:]

P.S. I made that up because I wanted to be in your guys' club!

Quick Reply: Who Works in Engineering/Architecture?