Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Who Works in Engineering/Architecture?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Works in Engineering/Architecture?

I'm just wondering who my colleagues are. My education is in mechanical engineering, and I work as a mechanical systems designer under an M&P Engineer. We design HVAC, plumbing, and fire protection systems for our clients (architects). It's a good field to be in, because it's very specialized, and will always be a necessary (I can't imagine a time when people won't need to heat/cool buildings). It might not be the most exciting branch of engineering, but hey, we can't all design cars...

I work in a small firm (6 including me), and am happy that I don't have to deal with big business bull****. If I want something changed, or if I have an idea, I just talk to the boss/owner, and it gets handled. He is very fair, but can be a bit of a tyrant at times (it's a double-edged sword, though, because it's that same tenacity and stubbornness which gets us work) The only thing I would like is to work with at least one other person that's closer to my age (I'm 26, the next youngest is 50!)

How about you?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Default RE: Who Works in Engineering/Architecture?

Chemical Engineer here. Been working in big pharma since graduating from college. I basically do R&D on new drugs. Let me know what you guys need.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 AM

I'm working in the Engineering group as a designer at my place of work. We build fire apparatus on a custom level from the frame up. I myself work in the "Body Group", the actual body or rear portion of the truck that has all the compartments and places to store things I never heard of. Mostly work with designing sheet-metal parts so that's interesting. There’s a pretty large number of people where I work and I get along with everyone quite well. I'm going to school part time so I don't have an official degree at this time but I've been working in this field for around 6 years.

Hey EHonda...any new experimental pain killers you need tested LOL

Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Users

well most of you know i'm a patent attorney...i have a computer engineering degree and while finishing undergrad, i worked at a medium-sized company as a network/system administrator, primarily everything hardware for IT.....programmed, rebuilt the network infrastructure, yada, yada, yada.....

anyways, now i do patent work...my clients are primarily from Korea, a research institute...i work on everything from semiconductor manufacture to lasers, to software patents, infrared devices, optical transmission circuits, etc.....

it's an extremely boring job...i essentially read my client's patent....read how the USPTO examiner says patent x or y shows my client's invention, then spend 8-12 hours figuring out how it's different and writing a 10-page argument to support it....rinse and repeat!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Northernfirepower
Hey EHonda...any new experimental pain killers you need tested LOL
PM sent. J/K.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i work as water boy for civil engineering firm.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: madgreek

The only thing I would like is to work with at least one other person that's closer to my age (I'm 26, the next youngest is 50!)

How about you?

petrophysics analyst-26 yrs old as well.....buddy i know how ya feel....

o and my favorite phrase around the office...."youre young, i know you've been here 15 hours already but another job came in we need turned around tonight..."

o yeah and previous i was a control systems design eng.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 AM

civil engineering ..my graduation project was in steel constructed bridges and sky building..work in a us construction company that carry on contarcts in the middle east (KSA) and thats where i was sent .. lol

Old 10-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

Graduated Chemical Engineering then Environmental Engineering shortly thereafter, workedaerospace mostly Space shuttle, Tomahawk Cruise missile, some other stuff, then studied some more and wrote computer code for a computer company (imaging/search software)I started with an old college roomate, sold it 8 years ago. An MBA in Finance followed later. 44 years old, retired...stocks/real estate now.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Users

we sure have some smart SOBs on this forum....would have never guessed, haha!

Quick Reply: Who Works in Engineering/Architecture?