Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Who rides in Shorts and Tee...hot day riding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007 | 10:53 AM
Default RE: Who rides in Shorts and Tee...hot day riding?

Since I've been BMXing for about 12 years and I don't really care about scars I could care less about something that will only prevent road rash. All I really need as far as protective gear goes is a helmet, but I like to use motorcycle jackets with the elbow and shoulder pads and I'd also like to find knee pads I could wear because nothing sucks worse then destroying joints and seperated shoulders.

I do wear gloves because thats just about the only place that road rash would make riding a motorcycle suck.

And as far as shoes, anything besides flip flops or sandals is good. Guys that ride in sandals just end up looking kinda gay, on or off the bike, unless your at the beach.

Old 05-25-2007 | 11:01 AM

One more thing, If I have a passenger I make them cover 100% of their skin with at the very least jeans and some kind of jacket.

Old 05-25-2007 | 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteHawk

Ya, Cotton (jeans) is better then polyester or nothing at all. Helmet, riding gloves, and a riding jacket shouldn't ever be left at home too.

It is easy to pick out amature riders on hot days, because they aren't wearing any of the above
I'll admit I've rode several motorcycles (crotchrockets/cruisers/dual sports) on the road while only wearing a t-shirt and shorts, but I don't think this makes me an amatuer rider. I've been riding bikes for well over a decade and I've been on the street for almost 8 yrs. What I choose to wear doesn't reflect my riding skill. It reflects my personal preference. It shows that I am comfortable with my machine, but I still have respect for it to not ride like a maniac while only wearing shorts and a shirt....I take it easy. I wear a helmet and gloves 99.9% of the time, shoes/boots 50/50%, Inormally wear jeans,but from time to time if I'm gonna be riding hard I wear full leathers, but like I said I've worn shorts and a T dozens of times as well. It depends on how far I'm going and what kind of riding I'm planning on doing. I've gone down b4 with a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and jeans on while doing between 30-40 mph, but this has not affected what I wear now. I fear the cagers around me every day more than I fear myself. Just cause you have on a suit of armor like a knight doesn't make u a good (experienced)riderand just cause someone wears minimal gear it doesn't make themanamatuer rider.

Old 05-25-2007 | 12:51 PM

Personally, I think riding without gear is like having sex without a jimmy hat: Sure there's a chance that nothing bad will happen, but there's always a risk of getting burned. And you know what I'm talking about... in both cases.
------------------------------
It's not always in your control what happens to you on a bike, cagers and critters often do stupid and unexpected things. But it is in your control how you prepare yourself for the worst case scenario. Just be smart andride safe.

Old 05-25-2007 | 05:25 PM

what kind of crap is that about the tuck and roll? when was the last time you seen a professional racer hit the tarmac and roll on purpose? this aint WWF

if your tucking and rolling, first off, you stand a much greater chance of breaking something as you flop over and over and smack down against the ground..
second, it takes you much longer to slow down from a roll than a slide. so if you hit the ground rolling, like a freaking tire, you going to keep rolling until you smack into something hard, more than likely breaking even more bones.

if you watch pro riders, when they fall, in full gear, they attempt to spread eagle to get as much surface resistnace to decrease speed and come to a stop before they hit a barrier. when the rider tumbles, everybody winces becuase they know its not going to be good.

Old 05-25-2007 | 05:38 PM
Banned

Cops in my town wear short sleeve shirts on while riding their police bikes. 90 % of cruiser riders don't even wear helmets, most don't even own a shirt to cover their skinny tattoo covered arms. Gear is smart, gear is cheap, gear makes sense, but....

Using your brain is the best protective gear out there.

Gear may help with road rash, but I seewhat half the maniacs on this board talk about (150mph, wheelies, stoppies, knee dragging, dragon this, outrunning cops that, nitrous).You can wear all the kevlar/titanium/ceramic in the world, but it ain't gonna save you from an impact that will break your neck, arms or legs. Remember it ain't the fall, it is the sudden stop that kills you.

Old 05-27-2007 | 06:54 PM
|

ORIGINAL: pimpncbr954s

well lemme add somethin ive rode witout gear and wit gear, ive also fell without gear. one big reason people get road rash on 80%of there body when they fall at 30mph is cuz they dont know how to fall, if u fall tuck and tumble dont try to fight the fall and put ur hands down and try to slide across the damn pavement. if ur a good rider than u know how to fall and when u fall u tuck and tumble! ill ride without gear, but thats just my preference.
Everything you see in a movie is not always real.

Tumbling/Rolling = BROKEN BONES

Old 05-27-2007 | 06:58 PM
|

I know any protective gear you wear won't save you life, its skill and chance that will save your life. Even a helmet doesn't protect you in a crash, all it does is protect you if you fall off and hit your head on the ground after you fell.

Wearing protective gear ensures (guarentees?) protection against insignificant falls.

Old 05-27-2007 | 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Cops in my town wear short sleeve shirts on while riding their police bikes. 90 % of cruiser riders don't even wear helmets, most don't even own a shirt to cover their skinny tattoo covered arms. Gear is smart, gear is cheap, gear makes sense, but....

Using your brain is the best protective gear out there.

Gear may help with road rash, but I seewhat half the maniacs on this board talk about (150mph, wheelies, stoppies, knee dragging, dragon this, outrunning cops that, nitrous).You can wear all the kevlar/titanium/ceramic in the world, but it ain't gonna save you from an impact that will break your neck, arms or legs. Remember it ain't the fall, it is the sudden stop that kills you.
winner. gear is for the slide, not the obstacles you hit during it.

Old 05-27-2007 | 09:57 PM
Banned

Even a helmet doesn't protect you in a crash, all it does is protect you if you fall off and hit your head on the ground after you fell.
A buddy of mine crashed into a car that pulled infront of him, got a sore neck after it (and a broken bike) but he feels that without a full face helmet he wouldhave broke his jaw and without any helmet he would have been F**ked up bad. I agree in a bad crash a helmet may not help, but an minor to moderatecrash it is worth its weight in gold.

Quick Reply: Who rides in Shorts and Tee...hot day riding?