Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

When do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When do you ride?

I'll ride wherever/whenever just as long as it's not raining (if I can help it) and as long as there isn't any ice/snow on the roads. I like the way the bike handles/grips during the hot Summer days but I like taking those long "get lost and find your way back" type trips during the Fall (which is my favorite time of the year)...the scenery is just amazing. In the Winter/cold days, I'll wear my normal everday gear (helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots), some special thermals (top and bottom), insulated socks, a thin but insulated pair of gloves to wear under my normal gloves, a neck/wind protector and I'll also throw some of those "Hot Hands" in my boots, pants pockets, jacket pockets, helmet and near my wrist to help keep the hands warm. I JUST read about a couple of companies who make tires just for Winter/cold weather. When I ride in the Summer/hot days, I'll stop frequently and drink alot of water, in the Winter, I'll stop and get some coffee to help stay warm.

If you can, go to a cycle shop with your gear and try on some Winter/cold clothing. That way you can see what you like best. Alot of stuff's going to feel really bulky, and you'll look like the Michelin Man, lol...but they also make some items where you'll barely notice that it's on under your gear.

Hope this helps a little. If you do decide to get some Winter/cold gear, post up about it and do a review or something.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll ride any time it's over 40 F (5 C), or even colder if I'm sure there's no ice on the roads. The main things I do to keep warm are a balaclava under my helmet, and silk glove liners under my gloves. I'd say I prefer colder weather, mostly because there's less squids on the road, and hence less attention from the police. I guess they figure if you're out there in winter you're a serious rider who knows what he's doing.

These days most of my riding is to and from work, and out to job sites. Any strictly fun riding happens early morning weekends, before I get caught up in coaching soccer games, working around the house, other weekend dad duties.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM

I ride year round (took last winter off to heal from a Ducati v/s Deer event, but that's another story). My recommendation is get electric gear. I have gloves, vest, and socks that are all electric, "Widder" brand...you'd never know that it was 10 degrees out when you've got those puppies cranked up. I wear full leather for both wind and abrasion resistance, and a full-face toboggan (balaclava) under my helmet. Anyone can ride when it's warm, a measure of your dedication is ifwill you ride when it isn't.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM

I ride every chance i got if it's not raining out. i don't ride to work since A. I have to dress nice for work(office job) B. the traffic is bad and I almost get hit about twice a day in my car. Once I get off work and it's not raining I take the bike everwhere i go.

I always have a jacket, helmet and gloves on no matter how short the ride is. i always have jeans on as well.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: 51plymouth
Anyone can ride when it's warm, a measure of your dedication is ifwill you ride when it isn't.
Nice. I too like it now on the colder/rainy days when there are no squids out. It thins their population to an acceptable zero. I still see the die hards out with me and I make sure to give them the wave. I look like a damn marshmallow man when I've got my layers on, but I'm warm and comfy and I'm riding. I rode on Monday here in MI when it was raining good. I usually only say no to rain riding when it's a severe storm. It was interesting because most people seemed to leave me more room in the wet. No one was riding my rear tire and they left a few car lengths at stop lights. They were actually being considerate. Crazy.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride everywhere I can so long as its not pouring and I don't have to carry excessive cargo. Having an 11 month summer sure has its benefits.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:20 PM

Winter: A set of thermals and an extra tee under the jacket

Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM

In Seattle we get some rain but we have moderate temperatures and can ride year round.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM

Everywhere but work, need my work truck... If the girl doesn't wanna ride with me, then we take her car. I haven't started mine in like 2 months..

Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Retired Moderator

I don't mind riding in the rain, which we get alot of in Southern Oregon, but this last winter was an *** kicker. Snow, snow, snow...no thanks! I don't like riding when it feels like my skin is going to break off in chunks, either. I need to get better winter riding gear, and I will feel more confident when it is really cold. I am turning into a guy who will ride in many seasons, but I am no hero, yet...

Quick Reply: When do you ride?