Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What's the modern take on bike security?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 AM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the modern take on bike security?

Hey, kids! FOGeologist here, the returning middle-aged teacher-biker.

What are you people doing to keep your bike secure from thieving types these days? Last time I rode (when Clinton was in his second term) we were using disc locks, which was kind of a new technology at the time. Messed up a brake disc forgetting one, which was a top-shelf bone-headed move.

I guess I could buy a chain and a lock combo, although I have a boatload of some really good locks just hanging around the house. In pricing some of these things, they look pretty expensive.

I saw a
pretty cool electronic pager lock dealie pretty cool electronic pager lock dealie
that looked pretty sweet from Bully. Is this just some kind of a gimmick, or would something like that live up to its promises? Reviews seem pretty solid...

Do you folks use or recommend alarm systems or anything like that?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

fairing rash, duct tape, torn seats works the best!

but not much has changed. you can do a bike alarm. but a disc lock still works well.

insurance is the best thing though. deterrents work up to a point, but you need a plan for recovery. you could also do a GPS on your bike. there's magnetized stickers you can hide under a gas tank, a fender, a tail. if your bike get stolen, you can log on and find out where your bike is via those stickers. they are very incognito as well. a bike i bought had them on it. i never noticed them until i broke the bike down for a rebuild.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you're prolly not going to like the answer but... if someone wants your bike badly enough, they'll get it. Bikes have been stolen out of ppls garage. My bike has an allegedly impossible to duplicate coded laser cut key... and someone with another s1krr called a locksmith who cut a new one in under 20 minutes.

Best defense is comprehensive insurance. That way if it gets stolen, you don't take a complete loss. Best physical defense is a solid chain attached thru the frame to an object solidly anchored to the ground. Disc locks only prevent a ride off. Doesn't do anything against the brute force method: picking your bike up and tossing it into the bed of a truck / van.

I opt for electronic defense: a really good alarm. My bike has an RLink installed (not the junk BMW offers). GPS equipped and alerts are sent to my cellphone, like

Name:  Screenshot_2012-12-26-18-49-54_zpsf82b13f2.png
Views: 80
Size:  101.7 KB

Gives me a chance of recovery before I have to call my insurance.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 PM

My security? Let me tell you a little story.

My first bike was a 09 Gsxr 600. Brand new with 9 miles.

I put 1200 miles on it in 8 days time.

It was stolen right out of my driveway while I was inside, I live in a fairly secluded spot and its a decent ways just to get to the actual house. It was my own fault, I didn't lock the steering, but I don't really think it would have mattered, although they did roll it off the property into a field and into a truck, I noticed this when I saw the grass and noticed the faint tracks the next morning.

Yes it was somebody I knew but I have no prove to go by and the bike has never been found.

I worked my *** off to be able to afford the down payment and such. When I got it I felt like my ****in life was complete, sorry to be dramatic but thats how it was I always dreamed of owning one.

I worked my *** off again and got the cbr f3 I had before, and now I have an f4i.

After my experiences, and all the time I had to work just to get the things I wanted... my security system is this:

My bike doesn't leave my sight, unless its locked in my garage, or parked outside my work which is gated and barbed wired, and a security guard to enter. And guess what? The steering is still locked in both cases.

That being said, the ONLY other thing I would trust would be a gps locator which is available, but to be honest by the time you even get it back you'll be lucky to get it back together if its been torn apart, just my guess. So it would still be a bummer.

It would be nice if there was something out there that would allow me to have a drink, or go in somewhere for a significant amount of time and not have to stress about if my bike is going to get jacked. :/

Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Wow.

A pretty bleak outlook.

I fortunately live in an area with minimal vehicle thefts, but it is always a possibility. I will look into the RLink deal.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While security theft prevention isn't going to stop a determined professional thief, it doesn't mean that I'm just going to leave mine unlocked with a Help Yourself sign on the seat.

When I'm home mine stays in a locked garage with a central monitored alarm. I also lock the steering and I have a Scorpio i900 alarm with perimeter sensor. The alarm may not stop someone from taking it but it'll make one hell of a racket if they try, enough to alert either me or get the attention of others nearby.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 AM

The best security is keeping your bike in a locked garage when not in use, out of sight.
A few years back I had two bikes stolen off my driveway. If it were not for some cracked out junkie trying to rob people in the middle of a bridge with a sawed off shotgun singing like a canary when he came down in a jail cell, I would not have gotten them back. See he ratted his buddies out to try and improve his chances in court.
It turns out they were driving a water jug delivery van around in broad daylight scoping out stuff to steal. Hiding in plain sight.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thrasher572
The best security is keeping your bike in a locked garage when not in use, out of sight.
Hate to bring bad news but you don't remember this: https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic...ouston-104651/
People will know you ride and what you ride. If it's on their list, they'll get it. Working for both Comcast and now Verizon, I can't tell you the # of security systems I've found that weren't properly connected, rendering them inoperable or easily defeated by simply tying up the phone line during the alarm (no line seizure ability). Or easily defeated by cutting the phone line (didn't opt for dialtone detection or cellular backup). Or simply be faster than the police response (not difficult in Philly).

Bike chained thru the frame to a solidly anchored object, chain not resting on the ground, is the 2nd most effective deterrent. Getting the reputation of coming out to investigate alarms with a gun in a holster on my belt might be #1... I've actually heard parents tell their kids not to get to close to my bike because of the alarm.

But in the end, I rely on my insurance to give me enough cash to replace Yolie if she gets stolen

Last edited by Kuroshio; 01-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole point is just to get in the way. Yeah, the alarm systems are good, but I think things like chains and disc locks work the best. As far as "new tech" they even have disc locks that start sounding off if someone tries to tamper with it. Put visual cues around the bike to show that it's been locked down. Yes, if they want it, they'll get it. However you also have to consider that unless you're riding around on something rare, the thief will consider there might be an easier one to be had that doesn't have all the security "bling" on it.

I recommend you get an out of state friend to pretend to steal your bike and you pretend to whoop the **** out of him in a very public manner. Then have your friend not press charges because he's "too afraid" of you and have that rumor spread around town.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 AM

I guess if your bikes are specifically being targeted nothing will prevent theft. My take on security is to reduce the odds of being targeted as a crime of opportunity. Insurance is a gimme.

Quick Reply: What's the modern take on bike security?