Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

what's in the air....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's in the air....

I'm starting to think something is in the air around here....

I ride with a local club so I get a lot of news. One of the guys we know just totalled his new bike because of a wheelie gone bad. New bike, not a new rider.

Another guy trying the wheelie thing looses control and meets Mr. Stop sign. Think about that one, a stop sign. They usually put those things where there's a good chance of traffic. He's lucky that he made it to a hospital with a long, I mean long list of broken bones. From this list, I'm not thinking he will be walking too well ever again.

And to top it off. I have a guy that lives on my road about a half a mile before my house. I see his gray gixxer parked in front of his house every day while his three little girls ride their bikes up and down our street. Well, it wasn't there today when I came home from work. He decided... if you can believe this, to do a wheelie this morning on his way to work. He works at Ashland cycles, one of out local shops. About 2 miles before he made it to work, he decides to bring the front up on the highway. The bad thing about that is, the car entering the highway never saw him. That was his last wheelie, his last everything.

See a pattern here.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Default RE: what's in the air....

those poor little girls. my heart goes out to them.

must be the heat?? definatly a pattern there......I dont know what to say, except just shake my head in wonder and agony of those left behind

Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 PM

I beleive he was aiming at the fact that all three stories start with a guy doing a wheelie on public roads.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 PM

I get that.. my point is that its sad. andI dont know whats in the "air"but he's saying something is getting to people in his area lately.....causing them to do wheelies in the wrong places. you know..full moon, arsenic in the tap water, the heat, whatever, its causing people to be general dumb asses.

the biggerpoint, is that those poor little girls now have grow up without a father. because of something in the "air"

Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Retired Administrator

I didn't want this to be an "anti-stunting" issue... just, a stop and think what you're doing.

Also, all of this is over a week....

Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Wow, that's rough. Definitely think about what your doing and where your doing it.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:20 AM

I don't think it's an anti-stunting tone. Moreover, I think it's more along the lines of people doing it in the wrong places and wrong times. If you're going to do it, you accept the risks and consequences. Those left behind are the ones who suffer most. I feel enough guilt being a father and riding a motorcycle with all of the associated risks no matter how safely and conscienciously I ride without exponentially heightening the risk of not being able to see my boy grow up and potentially having him call someone else "da-da".

Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM

yeah i agree ! not a aint-stunt stament just a wow - you guys need to watch out !but agreed we take enough risk just riding !iwas praticing wheelies but i was doing them at a parking lot next to the stealership ! thats why they put it there ! really ! .. but it is a same that those girls don't have a daddy anymore beacuse he choose to show off on the way to work. .. and i know i wil be flameed for this but anytime you life the wheel on public streets in my book you are showing off !but that is just my 2 cents!

....sorry agian i really feel for those girls

Old 07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Retired Administrator

The thing is, this is a rual area where he died, so he really was just playing. There may have been another car or two around, but he most likely was just playing.

I'm not anti stunt, so I'm pleased to see it didn't come accross that way. I find myself slowing down on my back road rides because I see so many things happen while I'm driving in the country that makes me think. I see turtles, dead animals and cars backing out at times that if I was on my bike... I wouldn't make it. Plus these damn farmers.... I'll be driving along on a road that's 55mph and find them stopped in front of a driveway just sitting there discussing the weather, or what ever it is they talk about.

I'm starting to not commit to turns that I can't fully see around. Filling like a puss .... a smart, live puss... but still.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:07 PM

He who last laughs is usually alive. I'd rather wake up to another day of safe and comfortable riding than a) not wake up at all b) wake up in a hospital to never ride again.

Calculated risk is one thing but with so much that you can't control, why push the limits. What it comes down to is your responsibilities to others and yourself and everyone has differing opinions on what those are, which leads to the problems we all experience.