Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What Bike Should I Buy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Bike Should I Buy...

When I get back to the US? I've decided I'm going to forego buying a liter bike when I get back. I may have ridden this R1 for a season, but it was a stupid economical decision rather than one that would harbor proper growth as a rider.

Today, for the first time, I braked into a corner. I mean, I was carrying speed through the corners, but I was setting up speed with engine braking opposed to aggressive braking and seeing the large difference in my bike's characteristics... well, it actually pisses me off that I spent so much time doing it all wrong and feel even more determined than before to be "faster".

So what do I want in a bike? Well, I'm not looking for a complete beginner's bike (ninja 250), but I want a bike that will teach me how to be a good track rider. If that means a peaky powerband and hard as nails suspension that's a huge compromise for street riding, so be it. I plan on being a follow the speed limit and be a nice guy rider when I get back to the streets of New Jersey anyways. Any track experience stories would help.

Any year, any brand, any bike suggestions welcome. I was thinking I'd like to pick up an RS250 if there are any around me. Only have two seasons of experience under my belt so keep that under consideration.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its got a gixxer tail which made it lose 100 hp and weight 375lbs less also those lightweight wheels! you should be able to manage that. Go big or go home!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 PM

Well, it's a little less about management and more about growth. Despite all the rampant hate there is in general for gixxers, I'm also considering the gixxer 750.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 PM

On a serious note, I am a fan of the 01-02 gixxers. They way they built them with the triangle light looks damn good. Ive been on a buddies 750 and was impressed. Dont think you can go wrong with that or even a zx-6 or f4i (99-01 with stock split seat). You could also look into the 954/929 dont think you would be upset about growing on one of those...

Old 07-25-2010, 06:59 AM
June 2011 ROTM

Sounds to me like you need a 600rr

Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 AM

I second the 600RR. Here in a couple months, around Dec-Feb, I will be purchasing one.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 AM
June 2011 ROTM

I will buying an 04-06r1 in September. Since you had an R1, were there any issues you had with the bike or was it pretty solid. I joined up on the Yamaha forums and googled them and I couldnt find any problems other than a tps recall.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 AM

About the only way your going to learn to be a good track rider is to ride a track. no bike out there will help you ride the track better by riding it on the streets.

As for the RS250. If you plan on riding on the street, I would suggest not getting one. They are awesome bikes, great for the track (I really want one as well), but I would never make one my street bike. The problem with them comes with the powerband. On the street, where conditions vary so much, a peaky powerband can have disasterous effects. Plus, the maintainance alone would kill you in money and time. Not only that, the cost of one here in the US is rediculous. Your looking at 8 grand for a beat up one, that may not even be street legal.

In regards to what bike to get. Any sportbike, no matter what size, be it a 600 or liter, will handle more than well enough for the street. You just have to know your bike and how to get it to do what you want. Keep in mind, the R1 will handle the corner better once your tipped in, where a 600 will tip in easier, but not feel as planted in while in the corner. There really is not that much difference between 600's and liter bikes when it comes to handling, aside from the flickability of the 600's. At least, its not as drastic as some make it sound. On properly tuned bikes, they are very close.

But, if you still feel a smaller bike is the way to, and are thinking track oriented bikes, 600RR's are a great way to go. The newer R6's are also very track oriented. If you just want to nail down fundamentals, get an SV650, which happens to be one the best track bike out there. Not the fastest track bike, but overall, one the best ones to learn on, and to go fast on. Nothing wrong with GSXR's either. Heck, any sportbike will have its good points and bad points. But from a handling standpoint, you will be very hard pressed to beat Honda for their neutral feeling bikes. They are usually down a little on power when compared directly to their competition, but are the easiest bikes to ride fast.

Also, you didn't mention how much money you plan on spending. If you are dead set on honing your skills, I would suggest buying a bike for the street, then a bike strictly for the track. Of course, only if you have a track in your area you can have access to.

Having said all that. Im still not sure why your upset with the liter bike and want to change?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I ride an 07 600RR on the track and it's a beast, can keep up with anything. I just linked my track day video today

https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/track-day-grand-sport-speedway-114299/

That being said a good beginners bike to do track days on is clearly the Suzuki SV650

The vtwin engine is perfect for tracks and there are more aftermarket race parts for it then most any other bike.

it's also very forgiving of new rider input and it's not a slouch on the street either.

However the new Ninja 250's are amazing track bikes as well. Go sit on them and see what you want.

You can get a used SV for the same price or less then a new ninja 250

Last edited by RojerLockless; 07-25-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Having said all that. Im still not sure why your upset with the liter bike and want to change?
I'm not upset at the bike, more just upset at myself. I just wish I could progress faster as a rider is all and am hoping that getting on a 600 with everyone saying how much easier to ride will help me to get faster. I've got 3-4 tracks within 2 hours of me so getting track time won't be too difficult so long as I can keep up with tire costs. I think I'd be a little more happy about my situation if the closest track to me in Korea wasn't 3-4 hours away or if I had a car/trailer to get my bike there on. My experience with cars and auto-x tells me just how little you actually learn about fast driving/riding on the streets.

I gotta say, I've been pretty happy with the R1 in general, it's been quite a handful making the jump from a 250, but I don't regret the bike at all. Mine's an 01 so there's a big gap between mine and the 04/05s, but mine hasn't had any real build issues at all. Engine still runs strong, tranny shifts are still smooth and there isn't a bit of rust and before my accident from which I repainted, there wasn't any faded paint anywhere.

Thanks for the tips. Even a few R1 guys are suggesting the 600rr so I'm gonna take a good hard look at them when I get back.

What with the cops leaving you alone and speed cameras only taking front license plate pictures in Korea, I've had my jollies on the highway and plan on taking it easy on the highways when I get back.

Last edited by raylee; 07-25-2010 at 11:39 AM.