CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Were do you work? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/were-do-you-work-130337/)

gtmotor 09-01-2011 11:33 PM

I'm a senior aerospace engineer. I lead a small team of people (scientists and engineers) in an innovation center which is basically just a playground for us to develop new things the world has never seen before.

If you're still in school, stay there. The payoff is great and I love my job. My friends can't believe some of the toys we have... like a 30 foot wide stereoscopic 3D display to play Call of Duty on ;)

LetoCharles 09-01-2011 11:43 PM

Technician at a local VW dealer here in indianapolis, been there for four years, considered to specialize in all bluetooth/ipod/infotainment stuff, aftermarket and accesories, and high end touaregs and pheatons.

also am a business partner in my friends independent shop where we work on anything with a engine or motor, and all the way from paint, to general service

KIDZPLAY 09-02-2011 12:41 AM

I am a diesel parts sales for Freightliner Dealership.

Pay is pretty good. My schedule works awesome most of the time. Graveyard shift, 4 on, 4 off. So if i plan things right, i can have mini vacations without using any of my vacation time. And if you think about it, i only work bout half the year and get paid as if i did!!!!

UnderAssumedName 09-02-2011 06:16 AM

My background is audio engineering and since there are no jobs in music (by that I mean you can't just start at a studio as an engineer. You basically work yourself up from trowing out the trash), I was going to open up my own high end studio (there are only a few PROPER studio's left out there, 90% of it is amateuristic bs) and worked on the plans for about 4 years. [Edited my post because it got a bit too emotional haha]. I had a lot of industry people interested and made cool contacts over the years.

The last company I worked at closed a few departments and I was out of work for just over a year. I ate up my savings to stay alive and it crushed my dreams/plans so much that I hardly touch anything music related anymore [More editing here]. In the end I'm sort of glad I didn't do it because I might have gone bankrupt considering the economy went into the pooper and how the music industry is/works in general. No one wants to pay to get something done properly because with a 1000 bucks you can 'do it like a pro' in your bedroom. Well, that's what product sellers tell them.

I now work at a very big internationally known American company with a department here in NL. The pay isn't **** but it's not was I am used to. I absolutely hate my work because I'm far too creative and dynamic to stare at databases all day but for now at least I have a steady income. I can afford my two bikes and the on average 100/150 bucks (gas is nearly twice what you pay in the US over here) I put in my tank each week to have some fun. I save a lot of money by not partying and stuff like that. Which is totally fine because I don't like it anyway haha. I have always wanted to have an own business but I now have to figure out in what. I will for sure not work for someone else for the rest of my life. Ugh! I'm going to stay here for a little bit more and find something I actually enjoy doing.

:)

itlnF4I 09-02-2011 06:47 AM

work for a medical supply company (mckesson) friggin nightmare dealing with co-workers, but my mortgage gets paid so i cant complain too much

pepperman 09-02-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by gtmotor (Post 1096189)
I'm a senior aerospace engineer. I lead a small team of people (scientists and engineers) in an innovation center which is basically just a playground for us to develop new things the world has never seen before.

If you're still in school, stay there. The payoff is great and I love my job. My friends can't believe some of the toys we have... like a 30 foot wide stereoscopic 3D display to play Call of Duty on ;)

30' wide screen! Awesome way to play Call of Duty. I'm waiting to get a turn in one of the simulators at work. Hopefully the blackhawk one. Being structures trade (aircraft maintenance engineer) we dont often get the opportunity. Avionics and airframe/mechanical seem to score more fun stuff.

amRRussel 09-02-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mike.bucci (Post 1096071)
i am a minor photographer for playboy.

:icon_worthless:

Originally Posted by Trey929RR (Post 1096165)

and OP, correct the title.. It is bugging the phuck out of me.

:icon_werd::icon_iamwithstupid:

Originally Posted by gtmotor (Post 1096189)
I'm a senior aerospace engineer.

Doooood! My goal is to become a senior engineer someday. Color me jealous, congrats!

I went to college for civil engineering. Where I currently work is a surveying company as a draftsman. I'm contracted out sort of right now to a coal company out of Pittsburgh that has me doing coal reserves, deep mine layouts, permits for coal sites etc. I got word a few weeks ago that Marshall Miller is reviewing my work and like how I'm doing things and agree with my work; that made my year to hear that! (Marshall Miller is the biggest coal engineer firm in the states and is internationally respected.) Slowly working up the ladder of success. I want to to back to school and get my Master's, soon.
I am comfortable with the pay and living is easier than it has been in the past so currently I'm enjoying life before I get back to business.

kiwi TK 09-02-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by amRRussel (Post 1096251)

I went to college for civil engineering. Where I currently work is a surveying company as a draftsman. I'm contracted out sort of right now to a coal company out of Pittsburgh that has me doing coal reserves, deep mine layouts, permits for coal sites etc. I got word a few weeks ago that Marshall Miller is reviewing my work and like how I'm doing things and agree with my work; that made my year to hear that! (Marshall Miller is the biggest coal engineer firm in the states and is internationally respected.) Slowly working up the ladder of success. I want to to back to school and get my Master's, soon.
I am comfortable with the pay and living is easier than it has been in the past so currently I'm enjoying life before I get back to business.

We should talk someday man, I'm a land surveyor, love my job, come home some days absolutely bloody knackered from a whole bunch of field work; but always sure that I have done the best possible job I can do for the client.

adrenalnjunky 09-02-2011 09:53 AM

I'm a management-level call center supervisor for a large telecommunications company. My department has been a DSL/HSI troubleshooting center since I started here part-time as a tech in 2000. (actually we were still troubleshooting dial-up @ that time).

Finished my degree, moved up the totem pole here a few job grades, took a job across town @ the corporate headquarters. Worked as a Quality Assurance analyst for a couple of years, then moved back to the Call Center for this management position. Then 3 years ago we merged with another large telecom company, and then again this year we merged with another. During all of this my department has managed to become the company's main department that develops the troubleshooting/helpdesk procedures for New services. Right now we're primarily an IPTV video troubleshooting center, which is infinitely more interesting than DSL troubleshooting, and looks like we'll be taking on the Video NOC operations for the company as well, very shortly.

amRRussel 09-02-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK (Post 1096263)
We should talk someday man, I'm a land surveyor, love my job, come home some days absolutely bloody knackered from a whole bunch of field work; but always sure that I have done the best possible job I can do for the client.

That's what counts, the way I see it. :)